Child Safety Fence?

Thanks,

We are having a boy.

I pulled up our counties pool requirements, and it seems I have already met these to have the pool installed.

We were sort of looking for the style you see around rentals and most homes in Florida or other locations.

It's like a black netting with PVC piping that can be removed when you have guests over.

I have an almost exact fence at my current home. I like it because it is not as an eye sore (at least to me) as rod iron fences that I traditionally see in homes. We removed it about a year ago and loved having parties at our home with the extra space of no fence. We are putting it back in now since we are going to be renting out our home. I will tell you this. Get some extra caps or what ever the things are that go in thee ground. Over time they wear away and are easy to rip out and slip in a new one

Best on the market is Baby-Loc due to a number of factors. It's 6" taller than most, has a self closing/locking gate, available, has your choice of aluminum or fiberglass pole (lighter), and comes in 5, 10 and 20 foot lengths. It can be installed in pavers too with the optional 15" pipes the sockets need for stability, Without the pipes, the sockets the poles are inserted into would come loose. There is also a step kit available.

While it can be a DIY project, I don't recommend it. Most DIYs wind up with waves and loose spots that can detract from both the appearance and strength or the system.

Fortunately, you have time. It'll take some time till the baby can walk. The fence will be a deterrent but not a substitute for supervision. Boys are clever and sneaky. I was one once.

Start swimming lessons early.

Don't use the fence to as a towel line.

Scott

I'm buying a house with a pool and need to install a fence as well. Any ballpark estimate for baby-loc or similar fence with one gate including installation. I'll need about 90 feet of fence. I'm in San Francisco bay area.

Thanks

Attachments

• 40531505_12_0.jpg
    40531505_12_0.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 629
Expect about $20 to $25 per foot plus $300 for the gate and another $400 for the step kits needed.

From the picture, I would say you're goning to have a proble with the distance between the house and pool. A properly installed removable fence needs about 2-1/2' at a minimum from the fence edge to the pool edge. If a child were to go over the top of the fence, it is better that the child lands on the deck and not in the pool.

I think you are better off with a Katchakid net. In this situation, it would be safer, less expensive, and easier to work around/with.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know I am coming late to the post - I faced the same dilemma couple of years ago when our baby boy arrived. I didn't want to put a fence around the pool, mostly because I wasn't convinced that the fence eliminates 100% a human error. As soon as he started walking (at 11-12 months?), I signed him for infant survival swimming and installed new dead bolts at the top end of all doors leading to the back yard. Two months later he was "safe" in a sense that when if he fell in the pool he would float on his back while screaming his head off. In the interest of full disclosure, he wasn't happy at all taking the classes to say the least. I am very AP, so that was extremely hard. But, as soon as the classes were over, and we all were swimming, he started really enjoying the freedom he had in water. He would jump in by himself and swim underwater and then raise his head to take a breath...He just turned 4 and is an amazing swimmer, like a fish in the water, and the best part of it is that he is safe in any pool. That said, the same rules we established in the beginning are still in force: always an adult watching them swim, and all the doors locked when I can't be out there. I probably paid as much as I would have for the fence (if not more), but both my kids have a skill for life. HTH.

Reactions: LiveHereNow
I installed a baby-loc about 2 years ago because we had a little girl. Its a good product. None of the temporary fencing gives me much confidence... But as long as it is used as a last resort to constant supervision, then it is great. That is the intention.
It isn't cheap. Im lucky to have a family member in the business that got me the product at cost. So I just had to have it installed. The gate is a nice option but you do not need it.

Ill post a picture of how it looks around the pool. Our gate is in the middle so not in this pic. As long as there is a lot of tension, these are pretty tough to get through. Ive gone inside, locked the gate, and prodded my 3 year old to push, pull, lift, etc to get in. There is no way she could.

I only took it down 1 time in 2 years and that was when we had a hurricane. I figured I should bring it in so it wouldn't blow away :) It came down very quickly and went up very quickly also. I have removed 6' sections to bring furniture and things like that in.

But still, I wouldnt trust this even the slightest bit on its own... All in all, its a bunch of mesh that uses tension to keep kids out. Constant supervision is KEY!!! I know this usually goes without saying but I dont sleep any better at night knowing I have this fence. It really is the last piece of safety in case somehow your kid sneaks by unnoticed. Here's the pic :)

VIDEO0084_1664.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Nets that go over the pool. One of my customers had one and it was such as hassle for them to remove to use that they only used it twice. If it's not easy to use you won't use it and then you are just as vulnerable as before.

After a lot of research on pool safety fences and the differences in them, I think I've narrowed it down to Baby-Loc (made by Loop Loc) and Protect a Child.
Hoping to order this week, so I can open my pool this weekend and get the fence installed as soon as it gets here.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with either one of these and how they like them.

The reason I'm choosing between these two are the way the poles are made. They reinforce them so they can withstand much more pressure than most fence poles on the market.
Long, but Informative video from Protect a Child.

The Protect a Child is a bit cheaper, and they seem to have a good warranty.

I was just curious on others opinions before I make my final selection.

Highlandreef said:
This looks to be a great product, the composite posts look to be very safe.
Any place you guys recommend buying from online?
I will also google it :)

If you're talking about Protect a Child, they have a list of dealers on their site. I didn't like his quote, so i'm going the DIY route.
I'm not sure if other places sell that brand online, I got a quote directly from the manufacturer.
The other thing I liked about PAC, is they have a pole lock system, which allows the pole to lock into the deck, so it's not relying on tension only to hold it into place. And their manual locking system is pretty clever. Using a toggle bolt with a nut on it, instead of your standard slide hasp.

I think I may go with PAC, since I've been talking about them the most :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.