Word is Out

May 24, 2010
My local Walmart has been completely out of 182oz. jugs my last few trips. Spoke with an asst. manager and he said there's been a run on bleach the past couple of months -- didn't know why. BBB the culprit? Been forced to buy the smaller jugs which is a pain. Is regular Clorox ok to use?

Any regular household bleach is fine... be sure to check the label and make sure the concentration is at least 6%... I don't get to Walmart too much so I buy the ShopRite store brand, the Kmart Smart Sense (usually a good buy) and Chlorox when cheaper brands aren't available.

The salt pellets usually have a cleaning agent for the water softeners which shouldn't be used in the pool.

I saw on one of those "super coupon people" shows. You can call up a store and request an item in bulk to be in stock so you don't end up clearing their shelves. That could be helpful if you want to buy multiple jugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hawkeye said:
go to local pool store and get 12.5% chlorine, why would anyone want to mess with 6%?... tons of jugs to deal with and recycle seems fun and cool at first but will wear off trust me when you open your eyes to 12.5% chlorine

Very true, however 10 or 12% is not readily avail. in some states :wink:

hawkeye said:
go to local pool store and get 12.5% chlorine, why would anyone want to mess with 6%?... tons of jugs to deal with and recycle seems fun and cool at first but will wear off trust me when you open your eyes to 12.5% chlorine

Where exactly is that local store selling 12.5% in Southern Indiana? I'd be there in a heart beat.

10% is all you can find here and it is about 50% higher than 6%. $5 a gallon at a local pool supply place or Walmart, makes it run about 39 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite compared to about 23 cents per ounce for GV bleach.

hawkeye said:

$6.25/gallon at the one pool store here that sells it. Cheaper to buy 6% at walmart or target for $2.54 for 182 oz.
The dollar store sells 96 oz. bottles for $1, but they were out of them yesterday. Also, even though they get new shipments in weekly, I wonder how long it has set out elsewhere, didn't smell very strong!

gullzway said:
hawkeye said:

$6.25/gallon at the one pool store here that sells it. Cheaper to buy 6% at walmart or target for $2.54 for 182 oz.
The dollar store sells 96 oz. bottles for $1, but they were out of them yesterday. Also, even though they get new shipments in weekly, I wonder how long it has set out elsewhere, didn't smell very strong!

Gullzway I saw this bleach at my Dollar Store for $1.00 but was reluctant to buy it. There was no percentage on the bottle. I even tried googling it with no luck. It was under the name of Home Brand Bleach.

hawkeye said:

True. The jugs stack up quick. I can get a four-gallon case of 12.5 for $14. For some reason it seems to (proportionate to equal dosages of 6%) "hang" longer on my FC tests.

The WallyWorld 10% stuff was terrible for the money I thought.

Our WallyWorld also has the bare-shelf syndrome on large Great Value bleach.

Just checked my local Nammco. I can get 5 gallons of 12.5% for $16.00 a jug after a $6.00 deposit. It would seem to me to equal 10 large jugs of Great Value Walmart bleach in price. Plus less jugs to worry about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.