Feed store grade chemicals

SHADEZ

Jul 10, 2011
I haven't yet figured out how to start a thread. this thread however is spot on.
Moved to a new topic. JasonLion
I have been trying to figure out this BBB method I went to buy sodium carbonate
I don't know if it's safe or a ok idea to use in a pool if this "soda ash" is not 100 percent pure sodium carbonate
that I found at a feed\farm store it was like 98.5 and the other ingredient was anhydrous(i thought that meant without water and powder) the lable says soda ash lite

A similiar question about sodium bicarbonate from the same place doesn't say what ingredients it only said something like less than 22.7 percent sodium or something like that had the A and H seal on it too.

I've found that I can buy the bicarbonate at sams club in a 13.5 lb bag 100 percent pure and I can convert that into 100 percent pure sodium carbonate .. losing some weight to it useing my oven would this be a greater choice? Im unsure about what form it comes out to .. the tye dye and homemade laundry forums use it .. but is it a good or even possible choice for our pools?

both products are alot cheaper at the feed store but don't know if they can be applied to pool use.

so sodium carbonate \ soda ash \ washing soda \ anhydrous \ decahydrate \ purity \ percentage feed store grade?
and bicarbonate?

I also found a post that says you can raise the ph with useing only brcarbonate useing a technique. which would aleaviate having to deal with the soda dillema under what perimeters?

Re: What are the differences?

Welcom to TFP! :wave:

You can start a new thread by clicking on the "New Topic" button near the upper left just under the topic/thread title.

You can read more about grocery store equivalents for common pool chemicals in this post. Note that you do NOT use sodium bicarbonate for raising pH, but rather to raise the TA. To raise the pH, you can use sodium carbonate (which also raises TA) or you can use borax (which raises TA only half as much).

You get sodium bicarbonate in Arm & Hammer® Baking Soda. You get sodium carbonate in Arm & Hammer® Super Washing Soda (careful: NOT the laundry detergent). You get borax in 20 Mule Team™ Borax.

The feed/farm store product might be a problem since you don't know what the other ingredients are and most certainly you cannot convert sodium bicarbonate into sodium carbonate as you describe. [EDIT] WRONG! See my later post below. [END-EDIT]

Note that if you are using chlorinating liquid or bleach as your source of chlorine, then you will probably not need to use sodium carbonate. You will more likely need to use Muriatic Acid you can get at a hardware or big box store.

Re: What are the differences?

I was wrong to say you couldn't convert it in your oven. Sodium bicarbonate can be heated to release water and carbon dioxide to make sodium carbonate as shown below.

2NaHCO3 + heat --> Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2
Sodium Bicarbonate + heat --> Sodium Carbonate + Water + Carbon Dioxide

It is so much easier to get sodium carbonate directly then to waste the energy heating baking soda and not really knowing if you've completely converted it. I suppose if you are in a real pinch you can try that.

The use of bleach IS close to pH neutral when accounting for chlorine usage, but there is often some carbon dioxide outgassing and a small amount of lye in excess bleach so usually you need to add a small amount of acid periodically. Not everyone needs to, but most do.

You should rarely need to raise your pH. If your pH is consistently too low, then your TA is too low. If your pH is consistently too high, then your TA is too high. When you get your TA right, then the pH will remain in the desired range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.