algcide is this bad

Jul 9, 2011
while at work my wife told me see dumped 18 oz. of extend algcide 23.2% copper ethanotamin and 76.8% other i guest .Is this bad without testing first? 12,000 AGP ,I am or have her putting bleach every night till test kit comes in.Water is light green and i am getting ready to hook up a SWG when i get off of work thur. i work 7 n 7 offshore. i been reading info on tfp sence i was told about this site and learning new stuff every day while at work :-D

Hide the rest of that bottle from her! Never add anything other than a REASONABLE amount of bleach without testing. Get your pool properly shocked first (see pool school) before using the SWG.

We do not recommend any copper product for your pool.
Copper in pool water is what turns blonde hair green, and copper stains are almost impossible to remove. :shock: :grrrr:

Yep, you need to shock the pool using bleach/liquid chlorine.

Post a full set of test results and we can help you with the shocking process.

Does your wife also read TFP?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

OK, lets take a look at this (I'm gonna do a poor imitation of Chem Geek):

18 oz in a 12,000 gallon pool = 11.7 "ppm Cu ethanolamine"
Copper ethanolamine molecular weight = 185.71
Copper atomic weight = 63.55
63.55/185.71 = 34.2 % elemental copper in Cu ethanolamine
11.7 "ppm Cu ethanolamine * .342 = 4 ppm copper :shock:

That is a much higher number than I expected. If I'm even close to correct with the above (someone feel like checking my numbers?), you're at serious risk of copper staining. 18 oz was probably the whole bottle; many times the recommended dosage (usually just an ounce or two).

Not sure on copper test,if the one i ordered has the test FAS-DAS ,I am at work till tur, and i have been trying to get her to read TFP would be the only why we can keep it up while i work,(7 N 7).
When see bought the algcide see didn't reelize it was the extenned bottle from wally world $29.00,and see put what was recommended for 12,000 gals. 18oz.
I hope this doesn't set me back on the shock procedure and turning on the SWG.
I am trying to get her to reg. on TFP when see does ill point her out to yall. :hammer: :cheers:
Thanks for the info.,if the readings are to high how can cooper be removed? dilutting?

(((18 fluid ounces) / (128 fluid ounces / gallon)) / (12000 gallons)) * (23.2%/100%) * ((63.546 g/mole copper) / (185.71 g/mole copper ethanolamine)) * (1 ounce weight / fluid ounce assumed) * (1,000,000 ppm) = 0.93 ppm copper

You forgot to multiply by the 23.2% concentration. Even so, there's a lot of copper in the water now.

bullet20 said:
Not sure on copper test,if the one i ordered has the test FAS-DAS ,I am at work till tur, and i have been trying to get her to read TFP would be the only why we can keep it up while i work,(7 N 7).
When see bought the algcide see didn't reelize it was the extenned bottle from wally world $29.00,and see put what was recommended for 12,000 gals. 18oz.
I hope this doesn't set me back on the shock procedure and turning on the SWG.
I am trying to get her to reg. on TFP when see does ill point her out to yall. :hammer: :cheers:
Thanks for the info.,if the readings are to high how can cooper be removed? dilutting?

You need to keep a tight controll on your Ph, maintaining the Ph at 7.2-7.4 as this is an effective level for copper to work on the algae. Copper does work so let it do its job, the mistake has been made and other than a partial drain and refill it's in your pool for a while now.
You may not need to shock in the TFP sense (TFP system is based on BBB not copper) just use your regular chlorine additions for now and give it time to work, it should not delay the SWG installation, you need to post your water figures when you can, just don't do it again :testkit:

thanks i will post pics of water and test results .Test kit has arived but i wont be off work till thur. night and iam trying to get wife to do test on fc.ph,and cya at lease,and email them to me but she not to sure how too.Also i can do a partical water change but we have weel water and i would have to by pass softner to do so. I did have pool clear after liner change with cholrine but rain findly came and wont stop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bullet20 said:
thanks i will post pics of water and test results .Test kit has arived but i wont be off work till thur. night and iam trying to get wife to do test on fc.ph,and cya at lease,and email them to me but she not to sure how too.Also i can do a partical water change but we have weel water and i would have to by pass softner to do so. I did have pool clear after liner change with cholrine but rain findly came and wont stop.

Do you have any metals in your well water? Well water in our area is totally lousy with iron.

bullet20 said:
yes i am sure i do,living in south La.

I definitely know what you are going through.

When I filled my mother's pool for her last year (before the local water association installed the aeration system to get rid of the excess iron in the water), the water turned tea dark (couldn't see the bottom of the pool dark) the first time I chlorinated it due to the reaction of the excess iron in the water with the chlorine.

It took a large amount of metal out, shocking to oxidize the metal, vacuuming to waste, not to mention a miserable 3-4 straight days of rinsing clean the filter cartridge every three hours or so to finally get it all out (given where you live, you probably know how really not-fun this was at 12pm at night/4am in the morning while being swarmed by clouds of mosquitoes).

Then, I'm finally getting the pool clean, and what does my mom do? Well, she went and did the exact same thing your wife did - she dumped (accidentally, she said) enough concentrated algecide into the pool to kill half the algae in North America. The chlorine shock reacted with the copper in the algecide and the remaining iron in the water, turning the pool water the brightest shade of green I have ever had the displeasure to see before or since in water. It took another week of hard work, shocking, a ton of metal out/vacuuming/filtering to settle and finally eliminate it.

Keep at it and you'll eventually get it clean. However, since that time, I have developed a special hatred for those d@%&!d Intex cartridge filters. If I have my way, hades will freeze over before I ever even look at one again...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.