Adding DE on a skimmerless pool, Intex Easy Set

sheptr

Jun 14, 2011
North Jersey
Mods,
If this belongs in a different category, I apologize, please move it if so.

Seeing as I do not have a proper skimmer, I added 1lb of DE to the pump basket, in a newly installed Hayward EC30/40GPM system. My pressure had been at 12lbs and went up to 15lbs where it has remained for the last 2 hours.
My plan was to add 1lb an hour, total 3lbs. Have I done wrong, or am I ok adding DE through the pump basket? Is there a better way to add the DE given my type of pool?
Thanks!

Thanks! Wasn't sure it was going to ruin the pump or filter.

The suction port is the stock one that came with the pool. A small little plastic strainer. It does not feel like it is sucking anywhere near the force it is returning water to the pool. Is that normal?

Do you think swapping a bigger strainer would make a difference? I do see a funky looking hang over the edge basket skimmer
made for these inflatable ring pools. Mr. Pool Store says they work well and happens to have one in stock.

If all you have is an open hole....why not go buy a flexible long funnel at the auto parts store, or a hardware store? Premix the DE in a bucket, and pour it in through the funnel. As long as the funnel isn't totally sealing the inlet and you pour slow enough, it shouldn't suck air nor start spilling into the pool.

M14609304.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.