New Here need help on Cinder Block pools

Jul 11, 2011
I'm new to the forum. We're doing a DIY inground next year and are determining the construction method for the project. I've done a bit of research and am leaning to cinder block construciton. I would prefer no liner but don't know how realisitc it is. We have two dogs and I don't want to worry about damage. We live in Northern Ontario where winter temps can reach -40. I would love to hear from people who have been there and done it and who could offer some advice.

We have a few members around here who have built them...Duraleigh (concrete block w/ vinyl liner)and solarboy (used blocks to form then poured walls) come to mind. Hopefully they'll see this and stop by.

Welcome to TFP!

Thank you for the response. I thought I might have options beyond a liner. I've acid stained my concrete floors and sealed them so I thought I might have that option if I can find the proper sealer for the water.

I would be surprised if simply sealing it would work. Even it it did, the roughness of the surface would be hard on your feet and the little holes would be perpetually full of dirt.

I think a standard vinyl pool would work the best in your situation. A thicker liner would help with the dogs.

Welcome to TFP!

Agree with MITS. You are going to need a liner. Concrete sealant isn't enough to make the concrete impervious to water for any amount of time under that type of pressure.

Does anyone know what they apply to public pools? In our area they are poured concrete. They are sprayed/treated with something to make it work with no liner. It must be some kind of rubberised sealant.
Our house is ICF to the roof, considering ICF block too. It will depend on the $. I sealed my acid stained concrete floors with the same stuff they put on basket ball courts. Worked beautifully. I haven't given up yet.......... sometimes you have to look at what's not obvious or typically used in the industry.

hugshome said:
Does anyone know what they apply to public pools? In our area they are poured concrete. They are sprayed/treated with something to make it work with no liner. It must be some kind of rubberised sealant.
Our house is ICF to the roof, considering ICF block too. It will depend on the $. I sealed my acid stained concrete floors with the same stuff they put on basket ball courts. Worked beautifully. I haven't given up yet.......... sometimes you have to look at what's not obvious or typically used in the industry.

It is usually plaster. If the suface feels tacky or rubbery, they have probably sprayed or applied something over the plaster.