Can't clear my water!

cb_gl

Jun 24, 2011
Just had a pool built, opened it about two weeks ago.
Water was very clear at first, then the chlorine level started to get low (not sure exactly how low since at the time I was using builder-provided test strips). So I shocked with Calcium Hypochlorite. Immediately the water became cloudy and has remained that way since.

I have, after spending hours per day reading the site over the last week:
- Purchased a Taylor K-2006 test kit
- Started the process of getting CYA to the 30-50 range (builder did not add any, just left me with dichlor pucks)
- Decided that when CYA gets to that range I will stop using stabilized chlorine in favor of bleach
- Started the process of muriatic acid/aeration to lower TA

The pool is slowly starting to clear again, chlorine levels have remained stable with the use of the dichlor in the automatic feeder and supplemental bleach if it starts to creep lower.

My main problem is that there is now a white powdery substance settling on the bottom of the pool that I can't identify. When people swim it gets stirred up and the water gets cloudy, so I try to vacuum it up whenever I see it. Am I on the right track to getting my clear water back again?!

Current test results
---------------------
Free chlorine: 4.2
Combined chlorine: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 275
CYA: ~20 (that's an estimate, it's not quite 30 yet)
Calcium Hardness: 260

I dont have any idea what the white substance might be but I would purchase some stabilizer and get the CYA up to 50 instead of waiting for the pucks to accomplish it. I'm just not that patient and the stabilizer is pretty cheap.

That was my thinking too, thanks for verifying.
I've added about 8 pounds of granular CYA over the last few days using the sock in front of a return method.

I'm going now to buy more and finish bringing it up the rest of the way. Chlorine held steady at around 4 today with rain, then sun, then people swimming (and the the chlorine auto feeder on).

Still annoyed by the white powdery stuff and my cloudy water though...

Sounds like calcium clouding to me. Though your pH isn't high, adding cal-hypo can locally raise it really high, which combined with your high TA could cause tiny calcium carbonate crystals to form. I'd start the TA reduction right away, keep the pH low (7.2 or so), and see if it filters out. You could try adding DE to your filter; that would help it filter out the tiny stuff.

With so many reports of inconsistent performance on DE substitutes and sand substitutes, I would take the above post about Fiber Clear with a word of caution.

All these substitutes usually require some time in the marketplace before they find a niche (if they ever do) and the initial results we see posted here are certainly mixed at best.

Ending the use of cal hypo in your pool and switching to liquid chlorine is probably the single best thing you can do to clear your pool. Run the pump 24/7 as well.

Thanks for the responses, finding this site has helped get me off on the right foot with the new pool, and it is much appreciated.
Just started my 2nd round of muriatic/aeration this morning, I will read up on DE as well.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.