Pool Coping in Need of Repair.

Feb 26, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hi helpful people,

Below, I've attached pictures of the stone and concrete coping around my pool. As you can see, it's cracked in many places with lots of crevices and unevenness. I'm almost certain that it leaks water, too. In a couple of shots you can even see where a crack has been filled with a foam compound and covered over with a thin veneer of concrete that is now deteriorating.

My plan is to convert my pool to salt water, but before I do that, I want to fill-in and smooth-out the concrete between the stones. After that, I'm thinking of applying a coat of Sani-Tred Permaflex followed by a salt resistant epoxy. The stone will remain in its natural state.

So, with this, I have many questions that I'm in need of help with:

1. What would be the best material to fill-in and over the existing concrete?
2. What should I use to fill-in deep cracks?
3. If at the end of the process, I wanted to "clean" the stone or polish the face smooth, how can I do that? Will a grinding wheel work or do I need something more sophisticated?
4. Can anyone recommend a good epoxy or pool coating for SWG pools?
5. I have no idea what type of stone this is, but based on the pictures, will I have any issue with them and salt water? As much as I'd hate to do it, would I be better off coating them, too?

Thanks in advance for any help on these questions. I really want to fix this correctly and hopefully for a good long while!

Attachments

• Coping-001.jpg
    Coping-001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Coping-003.jpg
    Coping-003.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Coping-006.jpg
    Coping-006.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 107
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.