My Island Adventure

Sambo888

Bronze Supporter
Jul 5, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Hi folks. I have been lurking here for about the last 3 weeks after I accidentally found the site when searching for Island building help. I must say the level of info shared here is outstanding and i really wish I had found this before I started building my island. I would like to start my build story and at the same time ask a few questions of those who may have some insight.

I sketched out an initial design for my island about a year ago. I just could not find myself willing to pay the $5K+ contractors were charging just for the island so decided to do it myself. After much debate and internet searching I found a couple of sites, youtube videos and articles on concrete block building & steel frame building. I decided I couldn't do the concrete block b/c seemed too much work to do vs. the framing (after finding this site, I am glad I figured that out). In my searching i came across a site that helps homeowners like myself start a project like this by providing "moduled" kits for building an island. For my basic design this kit met my needs so I went ahead with it. Even after all the reading on this site I am glad I used that b/c it helped speed up my learning curve. Although now I feel like I wish I had done more, I am sticking to my design. So without further adieu, here is an intro to my plan.

I am building a "L" shaped Island that is 10'x5'. I will NOT have a gas grill but only have my Kamado Joe (Big green egg is a competitor) b/c we now only cook with that. I do have a NG side burner I plan on putting in too b/c I do have a gas stub out ready to go. The island will have 1 set of double doors and also a single side door. At this point i am done with the main frame construction. The picture attached is not complete b/c i have not yet taken the completed frames picture, but still gives you guys an idea. Next step is the hardibacker skin and trex feet then on to thinset & tile top. I am planning on stucco'ing the rest. I do have some questions on that below.

At this point I am looking for your feedback/advice. I know Dr. Dave really is pushing for vents and I plan on putting them in even though I only have a gas burner and no gas grill.

here are some questions I had and if you could help me out that would be great.

1. I am thinking of putting in a 6" backsplash but don't want to tear up the island. Do you guys think if I create a 6" frame box and attach it to the top of the island it should work? or do i need to rip the island apart to do this now? (crappy picture of what I am asking is attached.)
2. The 2 attached pictures of stucco & concrete glue from HD are what I found yesterday when there. Are these the right items for me to do stucco? Or does anyone have a specific name/brand I should use? If so why?

That's all I can think of for now. I'll keep posting and updating my progress as much as possible. Most in AZ are telling me I am nuts to do this when it is over 108+ in AZ everyday, but hey at least I'll be ready to enjoy it in the great winter months...right? :)

Thanks in advance for your help

Sam

Attachments

• Backsplash idea.png
    Backsplash idea.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,549
  • Island Frame.JPG
    Island Frame.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 1,550
  • Glue.JPG
    Glue.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,549
Take the top track off the back wall and cut new studs to the height you want. It should be less work than adding the 6" section.

I'm using the Omega brand Acrylic stucco on my island. I don't know much about stucco, I'll probably end up using the last contractor that came by for the stucco on my island.

I assume you have found this site too: http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboar ... wforum=47'

Thanks Nightmare. Like your build on the other forum. That was the first time i have seen that one so appreciate the link.

I'll see how much effort it will be to rip out the rear studs. My problem is that the new studs I have are different ones (wider than the rest of the frame) b/c I got them at HD. So ripping out the ones on the island would mean a whole rebuild. Don't want to do that and that is why i am thinking the other idea would be better. I still would like to do that if possible or other option is to not do it at all.

Nightmare said:
Take the top track off the back wall and cut new studs to the height you want. It should be less work than adding the 6" section.

I'm using the Omega brand Acrylic stucco on my island. I don't know much about stucco, I'll probably end up using the last contractor that came by for the stucco on my island.

I assume you have found this site too: http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboar ... wforum=47'

Bump

Any other thoughts on if i "have" to rip out the back track, cut new studs and replace? As I mention in my post, I can't replace b/c the HD studs are a different width than the ones I built my island out of. This addition would require a whole rebuild if I had to do that. Just looking to understand if anyone sees any issues with adding the Backsplash

Find another store that carries the right size studs. There are only 2 sizes: 2 1/2 and 3 5/8.

AMS is where we got mine:

http://www.a-m-s.com

I also stopped by a couple other places I found from Dietrich's web site (they manufacture the Pro Stud Brand).

Rew Materials carries them too : http://www.rewmaterials.com/studsTrim.asp

Ganahl Lumber might be able to order them too, but I bet the building supply places will be less money.

All, sorry I did a poor job of keeping this post updated. I finally finished up my grill and have attached pictures below. I decided to go with tile on the sides instead of stucco and am happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,217
Thanks. I am beginning to really enjoy having the space to spread out when cooking. Also loving the storage inside rather than having to run to the garage for anything I needed.

Let me know what questions you guys have. As I said, I feel bad not updating the forum often but I focused on just getting it done. I do have a few pictures during the build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.