Backfill for Radiant Metric GT Pool

Jun 12, 2011
Michigan
I am in the process of burying a Radiant Metric GT pool. I am sort of acting as the general contractor. The dealer is installing the pool, essentially setting it up in my hole, but I am doing everything else. Both the dealer and manufacturer are stating there are no special requirements for backfilling this pool, and regardless of the backfill it will still be warranted. I have mostly clay soil, should I just backfill with that. My excavator said he could mix the clay with some sand and use that as backfill. I am not planning on doing any sort of decking till next year. Also, in the inground install instructions for the pool, it says they recommend doing a concrete collar around the base of the pool for inground installs in cold weather. Again, the dealer is saying it is not necessary and they said they talked to Radiant, who said it was only a recommendation but really not necessary. The pool company wants about $1000 to do the collar which seems steep. It is only 1ft wide and 6-8 inches deep. Should I do the collar?

Here is what it says about the collar, I am not doing the walk in steps.

Check with local building codes before installing your Radiant Metric pool inground. If the pool
is to be installed in geographic areas with winter ground freezing, Radiant Pools recommends
a 6” to 8” concrete collar around the entire pool (fig.1).

If you are installing a walk-in step, Radiant Pools REQUIRES that a concrete collar be poured
around the entire pool (fig.2). Add 2.5 yards of concrete to the ‘estimating concrete requirements’
for the concrete around the step and A-frames.

I am not sure about radiant pools but I believe I would follow the recommendations of the manufacture. The reason I say this because I am building a rectangular pool 16X32 with 4 ft radius corners. The engineered diagram that came with the pool says it needs 12 A-frame supports. The dealer sent 8. When I called them they told me I didnt need them. I ask myself why do you suppose an engineer designed a pool requiring 12 supports but you don't need them. I ordered the additional A-frames if for nothing else safety! I have a collar of 30" wide 10"D tapered out to about 8 in. This is about the middle of the manufactures recommendation.

Good Luck :-D

Tom

Michigan gets a few freezes I bet? I would do the collar. 2.5 yards of concrete delivered should be maybe $500. Get a wet mix, chute it to one spot and it'll almost flow itself around the pool. Just have one person helping it along on each side with a shovel. Under an hour's work and $500 for peace of mind, well worth it.

The collar gives the pool a foundation. When the ground goes through freeze/thaw cycles, it will push on different parts of the pool in different ways depending on water content of the soil, shade/sun exposure, etc. Over time that movement will cause the walls to become uneven. The collar ties the walls together as a unit, making it far less likely to have those kinds of issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.