New pool questions

Dieter

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2011
We just moved into a new house that has an existing pool. I've been fighting with it based on pool store recommendations and am not having too much success. I tried a couple of the test kits they had but was not satisfied with the results or accuracy, so I found this site and ordered the "TF-100" test kit. It should be here by Wednesday so I can have some accurate test results.

A few questions and observations. Pool is ~50k gallons, sand filtered, inground, white marcite finish. I was trying to get a read on the pump but it started raining a minute ago. The large label said Neptune and there was a model no. plaque that said PR2.

First, there is a large amount of organic matter that gets in this pool. At some point a prior owner put a large amount of trees on the property line dividing our house from our neighbors. There are also a number of mature trees on the property that are between 50-100 feet tall, so we'll be dealing with leaves, pine needles, buds, etc on a daily basis. It's tailed off since early in the season but I still empty the skimmer baskets daily and spend a couple minutes using a net to get rid of surface debris and bugs.

Second, the pool has been alternately very clear and fairly cloudy. Specifically the deep end. Much of the time, it's difficult, and for awhile impossible, to see the bottom drain at a depth of 9 ft. At times, it has also been difficult to see the Polaris in the deep.. There is also a green tint to the water on that end. Unfortunately, I can't tell if this is really the tint of the water, or if it is the water color being affected by reflection of a massive collection of tall Arbor Vitae and trees less than 5 feet from pool edge. I also believe that the circulation on the deep end is likely poor. There is a skimmer but all the return jets are located in one corner on the shallow end. After seeing the amazing pictures of some of the pools on this site, I have to attempt to get my deep end looking the same.

Current chemistry based on the kits I tried and gave up on indicate the water naturally has a very high pH. At chlorine levels that would not mess with pH readings, readings were consistently 8.0 or above. After several weeks of adding dry acid, I've managed to get it down to around 7.5-7.6. The pool is filled using a well. Based on strip kit (yeah I know), the Total Alkalinity was also very high. 180 ppm or above.

After reading the pool school, I would like to try the BBB method once I get the test kit and can establish a baseline to operate from. Once I begin that process to achieve the correct readings:

-Should I be able to see the drain very clearly at 9ft?
-Is it likely that I have algae or is it an optical illusion from the greenery?
-Should I be aiming for higher than normal chlorination due to the high level of organic matter that gets in the pool?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 204
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 204
Very nice pool! :) I think you will be happy that you came here and ordering the Test Kit right off the bat is fabulous! You will have control of your pool before long, and after reading through Pool School, a thorough understanding of how everything works together. I am not an expert at all... just a very satisfied member that took a black pool to sparkly with the methods here. Not sure what impact all the greenery has in casting colors on your pool, but yes... you should be able to see clearly into the deep end of your pool, so you probably have something going on in there and need to shock.

Read in pool school how to shock your pool. Personally, I do quite long backwashes, 4-5 mins, i feel this thoroughly flushes most of the debris out of the filter. I have found by doing this I backwash less often too!
My 9 foot deep end I can tell if a dime is heads or tails while standing on the diving board!
Again, post full results when you get your new test kit.
I'd say good luck, but I'm confident you'll get this cleared up by the weekend!~

Beautiful Pool! When's the TFP party? lol

:cheers:

threewide said:
My 9 foot deep end I can tell if a dime is heads or tails while standing on the diving board!

That is certainly not the case for my pool at this point. If it's hard to see a diving stick, I'd never find a dime. Hopefully I'll have it there next week.

Time for the tree trimmer. A good trimmer can remove 25% of a tree canopy so that you hardly can see the difference. Do not go further than 30%, hurts the tree too much. Ask the neighbor if you can have him thin their trees as well to easy your burden.

Then get some skimmer socks. Or if your skimmer is not too fat, get Knee Highs at discount and use them. Put inside the skimmer to catch fine debris. You will still have to empty often. We do every other day, daily, or more in fall. Very important for pine as pine needles are not kind to pump impellers I hear.

I wonder if the bottom drain should be taking more circulation. Plumbing is not my strong suit but perhaps that was the plan with all the returns on the shallow side. Is there some prevailing wind that was useful that has been blocked by the trees?

Can you share the last pool store test result with us?

I will definitely get the skimmer socks asap as the needles do get past the skimmer baskets. You can also always see a fine film of particles floating atop the pool.

As far as the bottom return, I am also not a plumber, but when I close the skimmer valves on the multiport, the filter pressure drops substantially. It goes from about 18 psi to about 6 psi. If I alternately close the bottom drain but leave the skimmer valves open, the pressure remains good. Anyone know if this indicates a lack of circulation from the bottom drain or is this to be expected?

TF-100 is in transit for delivery tomorrow and bought 3 x 3 cases of 192 oz bleach this afternoon.

Ok, looks like the Chlorine level hasn't necessarily been my problem.

Got the TF-100 and tested:

FC - 14.5
CC - 0
TC - 14.5
pH - 7.5
T/A - 220
CH - 290 (on this one, the solution sort of separated and had red particulate floating, they became purply blue at 29 drops, I continued to 40 with no change)
CYA - 50
Temp -79

Symptoms - Cloudy deep end

The Chlorine level is only so high because I got a little happy with the granulated powder before I got the Bleach. Looks like it's gonna be acid time for the next couple days.

There are to possibilities that come to mind. First, your TA level is way to high, and that is likely to cause calcium clouding. I suggest you lower your TA level down to something more reasonable, see Pool School for instructions. The other possibility is bad circulation in the deep end. This is more difficult to test for. If you have a working main drain that is turned on, circulation will not be an issue. Otherwise be sure to aim at least one return jet down into the deep end.

Yeah, I guess the test strips weren't lying after all. The scary thing is, based on those readings, I had already added 20 lb container of dry acid and half another, so it was even higher.

I'm going to spend the next few days only trying to lower the T/A and will go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tested this afternoon after 36 hours of adding muriatic acid

FC 13
TC 13
TA 140
pH 7.2

It's definitely clearer, though the deep end remains significantly less clear than the shallow end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.