BAT! Please help!!

May 30, 2009
Columbia, TN
So I have been enjoying my pool for a while now thanks to this forum! I do, however, have a problem that cannot be solved with Cl, CYA, MA, or any of the other chemicals that are normally discussed.

For about 3-4 summers, I have had this one bat that loves to torment me, and ONLY ME!! It has flown literally inches from my face and the top of my head :shock: It only seems to come around when I am the one outside. My husband can go outside at the same time and work forever without being bothered by it. I can go outside and within a few minutes, here it comes!! We cannot enjoy the pool at night because of this. (Nighttime swims are some of my favorite times in the pool!) I have even started seeing it during midday, though not very often. I am the one who does all the pool work, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Does anybody have any idea why this bat seems to be targeting me? Does anybody know how to get rid of the bat? I know some will say that it is good to have one around to eat the bugs, but frankly, as a southern bread and cornbread fed gal I would rather deal with bugs that this stinkin' bat!!!

Fragrance?

Wow, this is a hard one. Call an expert, I'd try the agricultural extension service or better yet the zoo. Ask for the small mammal expert. Wildlife rescue folks might know. Then the universities, secretaries there know everything if you can find one, this is offbeat enough to get attention.

Edit - any chance you wheeze when you breathe? If you sound like a bug for some reason... I have a mosquito repeller that whines, you don't have that do you? Not sure if that would attract or repell.

I was kinda thinking it likes my "smell" too :lol: Thanks for the idea of calling an expert! I will call the University of Tennessee agricultural extensions services.

anonapersona said:
Edit - any chance you wheeze when you breathe? If you sound like a bug for some reason... I have a mosquito repeller that whines, you don't have that do you? Not sure if that would attract or repell.

I do not wheeze or anything when I breathe, and I do not have a bug zapper or repeller outside. Great thoughts though!!

Bats don't go entirely by their echolocation. They use a fairly keen sense of smell too. I'd focus on fragrance first. Maybe a new shampoo or body wash. Also, avoid fruity or flowery smells. Many species of bats eat/drink from flowers and fruits.

I think that most species of bats in the US are endangered/protected, too, so you shouldn't be looking to kill it. Besides, since the little varmints will eat a third of their body weight in insects each day, they can be pretty handy to have around.

Reactions: mmm555
Actually, most species of bats are not protected--at least the ones in Texas. We have over 30 species in Texas and only one is engangered (according to Texas and the US) and three are "threatened" according to the State of Texas. Bats are quite common. That said, I agree they do way more good than harm and you shouldn't kill one unnecessarily. As for the tennis racquet idea, I doubt you could hit it. The several I see flying over my pool every evening (at about rooftop level) can turn on a dime (even 180 degrees) and are very fast. I would think it would change direction the instant you took the racquet back. I like the University of Tenn idea.

I also have a bat that visits nightly. I have named him "Ding". :wink: He appears at sunset and swoops down to get drinks of water. Then he flies around for about 10 minutes and then back again for a few more drinks. It is a little nerve racking to be in the pool and see him come right at my head. He always pulls up at the last moment. Although my wife screams and heads into the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To the OP: It is your scent it is keying on. It might be the shampoo, conditioner, or other toiletries or your perfume. As was mentioned, it's not just the sonar they use. They have a very acute sense of smell.

My wife changed her conditioner and our visitors left her alone and went for the bugs.

Scott

I have nothing. That is a very interesting story. It's weird that the bat seems to gravitate toward you, especially since you are not part of the bat food chain.

I have been battling bats ever since I have lived in this house, but I don't have target issues. I have 8 between the rim joist of the deck and the house. That's right....8. They don't do anything to us, except let us enjoy watching them as they make their circles around the pool at dusk.

Read up on them. Do a little research. See if you can figure out where he's roosting. Once you find that spot, block it off in the evening when they're out collecting mosquitoes. I have used the expanding foam stuff. Works well, just a bit messy. Chicken wire with a staple gun in hand also works well.

If you figure out where he's at, just make sure there's no one else in the roost before you seal it off. Don't want any rotting bats around the house.

Also, I'd be a bit concerned about seeing a bat during the day. Kind of goes with seeing a raccoon or a possum during the day.....they're not right in the head and are probably sick. Only a few kinds of bats carry rabies, but still a concern.

Tonight I saw a 2nd much smaller bat. I think Ding had a baby. This one is flying much closer. :shock: Think I will name him "Slugger"

I had a thought on why your bat might be attracted more to you than your husband. Are bugs more attracted to you also? I know that I can be outside all day with hardly a bite, but my wife can not be outside more than a few minutes without misquotes getting her. If you have gnats and misquotes around your head, maybe the bat is after them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.