Calling all pool Wizards! Will we swim again? Jet Pipe Broke

Jul 10, 2011
So here's the 411, I have a 22 x 40 vinyl liner pool. We noticed the water dropping a couple months ago and just haven't been able to find the leak until this weekend. Our autofill has been doing a good job of keeping the pool filled in the meantime, but the water bill is killing us. So the leak appears to be where the pipe (2") broke off by the fitting where one of our jets is located. It is behind the pool wall and underneath our concrete patio. I imagine the ground settling caused pressure on it and it broke off. It is where I can reach it with my fingers. My question is, does anyone know of an easy way to fix this? I only see this becoming hugely expensive! Concrete cutting, removal of the pipe, etc.... Is there an easier way? Pipe putty? Sealing the pipe off and not using ti? Help!

Re: Calling all pool Wizards! Will we swim again? Jet Pipe B

You can't really plug it off, because all the returns are looped together.

When you say you can reach it with your fingers, are you referring to from inside the pool? How much concrete is on the deck where the return is located? It is possible to cut a 2' x 2' square and dig down and replace it. If it's like some of the pools I take care of & only has a 3' deck around the edges, you can dig under the concrete, make the repair & replace the dirt (Please compact the dirt as much as humanly possible to prevent the concrete from cracking.

You can try an AB two part Epoxy. It sets underwater. But I'd recommend shutting the pump off a few hours to give it time to set up.

Yes, I can reach it from inside the pool by sticking my finger here the jet and pipe is. I believe the concrete is about 3"x3". I ca isolate off that pipe because we have pickets of where the pipe converge together by the pump. Would you still not recommend that? Thanks for your help too.

Re: Calling all pool Wizards! Will we swim again? Jet Pipe B

If you can isolate that pipe and cap it off it should be fine. Cap it off where the pipes converge and put a plug in the return fitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.