Help with renovation .. Travertine over kool deck

Jul 10, 2011
I am installing travertine 18x18" tiles (not pavers) mud installation in FLorida. over exisitng cook deck. I wanted the travertine to go all the way to the pool edge for a clean look. (I m removing existing brick coping) and building up tile line with another row of 2x2 pool tile. Do I HAVE to have traditional coping? i have read about expansion joints. will i run into problems doing what i have described above?? PLEASE ADVISE....thanks

Welcome to TFP!
You don't absolutely have to have traditional coping. Have you looked into travertine coping? I think that would give a much cleaner look than adding another row of tiles above the existing row.

What kind of shape is the existing deck in? Any chance of a picture? Keep in mind that travertine is quite soft and porous, and will require frequent sealing to keep it looking good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.