Isolating filter cartridge

Jul 10, 2011
Hello - brand new to this forum! I'm trying to isolate the filter in order to clean the cartridges. I have the valves on the inlet and outlet ports facing what I believe the be the proper direction to shut off water to the filter, but when I open the drain the water flows out continuously. what am I doing wrong? Attached is a photo of the valves and which direction they are facing. All valves have gate nearest to filter.
Thanks much.

Attachments

• pool pump 3.jpg
    pool pump 3.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 79
I do not see a valve stopping the flow from the pump into the filter. I also do not see a valve to shut of flow to the pump from the pool. The two valves that are next to each other occur after the water leaves the filter. You may need to switch the valve in front of the pump to "skimmer" and then put a plug in the skimmer to stop the flow of water while you clean the filter. If the valve marked "skimmer/main drain" has an off setting, then that should be the shut off for water entering the pump.

Doesn't that 3-way valve at the skimmer/main drain serve to isolate the water to the pump, when the "gate" is covering the line into the pump? or does it not isolate completely as a shut-off valve would?

I can't see the markings on the valve well enough, but I think when it is set as it is currently it is full open and allows water to be drawn from both the skimmer and the main drain.

The way you have the valves set should shut the flow off. Is the equipment below the pool?

If it's not then the water will stop flowing, as soon as it empties the plumbing, even if you leave the valves open.

Do you have and autofill that we're not seeing?

The valve settings should prevent any water from siphoning out of the pool. But the filter does hold a lot of water and if you don't break the water lock somewhere it will take forever to empty. Remove the pump lid while you are draining the filter to allow air to displace the water.

Ok, perhaps I'm just not being patient enough and there's more water in there than I think. Just seemed like flow remained constant and water level in pot should have started going down. Autofill not hooked up. Will give it another shot when I return at the end of the week. Thx everyone.

Water level in the pump pot will not drop unless air can enter somewhere which is why you need to take the lid off. You are basically setting up a siphon lock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.