Cartridge Filter Too Coarse

Nov 15, 2010
Flippin, AR
My skimmers remove a layer of dust from the top of the pool, and a dirt accumulates under my the return jets. I believe that the Cartridge Filter used in my Pentair Clean & Clear CC200 is too coarse and I'd like to get a better filter. I have more than enough flow to tolerate a bit more restriction. I have tried two different filters, the original that came from Pentair and an aftermarket, both rated at 30 microns. I'd really like to filter down to 10 microns or so. Does anyone know of a replacement filter that would meet my needs?

If you have visible dirt accumulating below your return jets then something is wrong. A cartridge filter will filter out anything you can actually see if it is working correctly. The most likely possibility is that the cartridge fabric is torn, but there are some parts inside the filter that could be broken and cause the same issue.

stev32k, try adding a little DE to your sand filter, as described in Pool School. That should improve things noticably.

JasonLion said:
stev32k, try adding a little DE to your sand filter, as described in Pool School. That should improve things noticably.

I have DE in the filter now and have been adding it off and on for the past two days. It has made a noticeable difference in water clarity. The only problem is I need to back wash about every two or three hours and that is with only one cup of DE. Maybe the back wash frequency will decrease as the water continues to clear up - at least I hope it will.

I still like the idea of a filter that will remove particles down to about 2 microns. Just wish I could come up with a good solution to the problem of how to handle DE in the back wash water. I''m not too keen on just letting it collect on the ground, but I don't know what else to do that is in economic reason.

I have just finished a "filter cycle" with the addition of Fiber Clear to my Intex filter pump, while shocking away some algae.

Seems to have made the filter a bit tighter, it was loaded up quite nicely after a week. I'm happy enough with the purchase, and it wasnt terribly expensive.

stev32k said:
I was considering the same thing. My current sand filter lets a lot of small stuff through and I would like a more efficient filter. Been reading up on the DE filters and they seem like they would do the job. The only problem I have is what to do with the back wash. Here's a link to the Hayward brand of DE's: http://www.hayward-pool.com/ctg/In-Grou ... 5516_I.htm

You could get a DE separation tank for the backflush - Let's you save the backflush water too.

JohnAJohnson said:
My skimmers remove a layer of dust from the top of the pool, and a dirt accumulates under my the return jets. I believe that the Cartridge Filter used in my Pentair Clean & Clear CC200 is too coarse and I'd like to get a better filter. I have more than enough flow to tolerate a bit more restriction. I have tried two different filters, the original that came from Pentair and an aftermarket, both rated at 30 microns. I'd really like to filter down to 10 microns or so. Does anyone know of a replacement filter that would meet my needs?

I noticed this same 30 micron rating on Pentair cartidge filters and am confused. In reading the Pool School here and on other websites that have their versions of it, all seem to say that cartidge filters filter in the 10-15 micron range. Why is Pentair saying 30?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.