Added 36 lbs CH up, zeroed out the Chlorine

Seamus

Jun 27, 2011
Added 36 lbs CH up. zeroed out the Chlorine. SWG system. Kicked up output also had to raise CYA from 30 ppm. Added 1 gal for a 20000 gal pool.

Has this happened to anyone else, what is the deal.

Re: Raised calcium hardness and free chloring went to zero

This was the test after CH up added
Before CYA up added

FC=0
pH=7.8
TA=80
CH=300
CYA=30
Temp=80
Using Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit - Taylor product

I did not test TC

The CH test in the K-2005 is a good test....I was concerned you were using strips. I cannot explain the loss of FC as they are virtually unrelated. Is it possible your FC slipped to zero naturally prior to that test and you just hadn't noticed it?

In the instructions for Jandy AquaPure it says to turn SWG unit off when adding chemicals. Any chance that calcium upset the SWG?

Calcium chloride won't have any effect on FC. But there is some chance that there was some organic contamination in your calcium chloride that could have used up chlorine.

anonapersona, adding calcium shouldn't have had any direct effect on the SWG. It is possible for the CH level to get too high, and for that to cause scaling, but Seamus's test results don't suggest any problem there and it would take at least several days to have any effect even if there was a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.