Air bubbles from floor drains

Jul 9, 2011
I have a one year old in-ground pool. The builder went out of business shortly after our pool was finished (Aqua Pool and Spa). I have noticed that when the filter is on high speed with the cleaner running, two of the four floor drains have air bubbles that rise to the surface. I have released the pressure at the filter and there does not appear to be any built up pressure in the system. What could be causing these and what is the fix that I am looking at? Or is there nothing to worry about?

Well, I think you can narrow down the source by looking for an air leak on the suction side of your system....somewhere between the skimmers and the pump impeller. The rest of the circulatory system is pressurized and might cause a water leak but doesn't let air get in.

The most common places for those leaks are the skimmer creating a vortex and sucking in air, the slimmer weir not working freely and allowing the skimmer to drain sucking in air, The pump strainer basket lid (clean and lube the o-ring and mating surface), and/or the pump basket drain plug(s). Check all those places, especially the basket lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.