Introducing myself and asking for some help

mhlta

Jul 9, 2011
Phoenix,AZ
Hi. I'm a new user and I've read LOTS on this site. There's still LOTS I'm trying to figure out. I live in sunny Phoenix, AZ which brings me to my question.

The two things I'm encountering over and over on TFP are CYA and FC levels. Unfortunately, I use the Walmart HTH test kit and my CYA regeant is gone. From what I can tell, my FC is at 4ppm, pH is between 2.2 and 2.5, TA ranging daily from 120-130. My directions got ruined and I don't remember how to read the CH test.

I thought I need to lower TA and get a CYA reading so I took a sample to PS to have it tested. The gentleman (who takes care of 20 pools in PHX regularly) says my TA and CYA are both reading high (I think TA was 170 and CYA was 190) BUT in this extreme heat (120 degrees) we need higher CYA levels to protect our chlorine from our intense, constant sun exposure. He also said that my high TA balanced my high CYA so they considered both readings right on target.

He said all my numbers were great except (CH 700) phosphates (over 4000) and chlorine which was zilch. Made sense as I've had a heavy load of swimmers lately, hadn't shocked yet and backwashed filter 4 times this week and vacuumed 3 times due to the amazing dust storm! He blames my high phosphate level on cheap tablets which he claims add phosphates to the water.

He recommended a $50 phosphate treatment (which I haven't bought yet) and a good shock which I did (dichlor 99% with some stabilizer in the other 1%). This brought my chlorine up to 4ppm overnight. I see that ChemGeek thinks 4000+ is a high phosphate level that requires treatment, but everyone else seems to think phosphates don't matter. I do have a constant battle with yellow algae no matter how much chlorine I put in. I can vacuum or brush most of it off and shocking seems to take care of it but it always comes back. Other than that occasional yellow on the walls, my pool is very clear and sparkly.

I usually find that my pool just laughs at bleach and liquid chlorinator. I put in way more of the latter than is recommended on the container (like 2x) and still don't get good chlorine readings or algae kill. But dichlor and trichlor always seem to do the trick. As for borax and baking soda, I wouldn't think of adding any as my TA is always high, perhaps due to a very old pool with deteriorating plaster. (Can't afford to replaster).

Because my CH was near 700, PS guy recommended I drain and refill this winter, NO CAN DO in a PHX summer.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use your recommended BBB methods or just stick with what I'm doing. I was hoping to find a way to make pool care much cheaper.

Help or suggestions anyone?

Wow, with those numbers I'd be looking for RO treatment. Truck mounted system that leaves you with perfectly balanced water. No idea of the cost, or who to call but I suspect it is available there.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yep, Anonapersona has it right. It's RO for you! The company is Calsaway and you can read about them at their site, Calsaway.com .
Reverse Osmosis for pools. They bring the truck and filter your pool water and then rebalance it.

I suggest you get your own test kit. The fav around here is the TF100 sold by http://www.tftestkits.net.
Great service and best bang for the buck.

You do need a higher CYA in your area, but the levels we hear about are around 70ish, NOT 190! :shock:

I usually find that my pool just laughs at bleach and liquid chlorinator.
That's your 190 CYA laughing at the bleach! :whip:

You do need a higher CYA in your area, but the levels we hear about are around 70ish, NOT 190! :shock:

I usually find that my pool just laughs at bleach and liquid chlorinator.
That's your 190 CYA laughing at the bleach! :whip:[/quote]

I would agree but it did that last summer when my CYA levels were around 50. Also, has anyone else heard of TA balancing CYA so your net is fine even when your gross reading is sky high on both?

has anyone else heard of TA balancing CYA so your net is fine even when your gross reading is sky high on both?
They are completely unrelated...there is no "balance" or opposite of CYA.
I'm trying to figure out if I can use your recommended BBB methods or just stick with what I'm doing.
What you are currently doing doesn't seem to be working too well. So, if you decide to make changes, you should start by reading EVERYTHING in the basic articles in Pool School and then start doing your own testing. If you are trusting the advice of the "balancing" suggestion, you will probably continue down the same path that has been troublesome for you in the past.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I just priced R.O. treatment and it's around $400--yikes!!!

Do you all find that it's cheaper to chlorinate with liquid chlorine than the solid forms? From what I'm reading on this site, it looks like I'm going to have to use much more chlorine than I have been, and add it daily.

Will 15% sodium hypochlorite do about 2 1/2 times what regular bleach will in my pool?