New Aquapure 1400 - sensor reading no flow

May 4, 2009
My old Jandy SWG reached the end of cell life, so I decided to replace everything - control panel, cell, sensor. I'm getting "no flow" messages intermittently when my pump is on low speed. If I change pump to high, system stays on. My pump is a Jandy PHPM 152 (1.5HP) pump that I installed last year. Jandy SWG specs call for min. 30 GPM. I recently cleaned my filters and find it hard to believe that system could be under 30 GPM. Old system never gave "no flow" messages.

http://www.poolspapartsplus.com/images/x/L0976A.pdf - pump performance curve

Does it take a while for new sensor to break in? Do you think I have defective sensor?

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but is the new sensor plugged in? Make sure the phone wire connections aren't bent. Did you just unscrew the old one and put a new one in? Or did you cut the pipe and glue another one in. If so, you might have glue on the new sensor.

It takes a few minutes to sense flow, it will flash red and then disappear.

Yes, sensor is plugged in. I will check the connection, but that connector fits on the panel connector pretty securely.

Old system was when the sensor was installed in separate T connector via threaded connection. New system has sensor built into cell installed via Oring/compression fitting. Yes, I cut pipe to install new cell and yes it is installed in recommended cell/sensor orientation.

I glued pipe in place, then spent next hour working on swapping power panel, then installed cell/sensor - so doubt it has any glue on it, but I will go check to make sure it is clean.

Are you getting any error codes? I installed a new box the other day and now that you mentioned it. I had flow problems too. I replaced the sensor and still had issues. Finally ended up on phone with tech support and they told me I had a bad board. I was like this thing is 5 days old. Ended up taking it back to my supplier and installing a Goldline Aquarite. Hayward for the win!

I have no error codes and old system worked fine with pump on low speed. Perhaps new system and sensor type requires a higher flow rate? Looks like I will need to contact Jandy/Zodiac on Monday.

OK, went to check it this morning and saw a code 145 - too high of Salt. After first installing, it gave me a 3800 salt reading, but after a few hours it was at 3600. My pool is at 3300-3400 on salt. My old system always read a little low - I generally added about 200 to whatever reading was to get actually salt level.

FYI - the new power center does not have the Salinity and R & H Temp test buttons so you can not calibrate system yourself. I'm sure there is still a way to do this, but it's not going to be easy to do like on old systems.

So, I decided to swap power centers and go back to my old one. The result - no error codes, flow is fine and salinity is reading dead on at 3300. Looks like I could have saved myself $360 and just ordered replacement cell/sensor.

Looks like I could have saved myself $360 and just ordered replacement cell/sensor.

Good information to know. Thanks for posting. Seems like there are a lot of Jandy units still out there.

How big is your pool and how long do you run your pump on high vs low to maintain clarity and chlorine levels? (maybe you do not know yet since you just switched cells)

I have a large high speed pump that uses quite a bit of electricity. But I only run the pump/JandySWG for about 4 hours at night, and so far things are OK. So I am not sure how much money I could really save with a 2 speed pump.

Charlie.

Sanger440 said:
How big is your pool and how long do you run your pump on high vs low to maintain clarity and chlorine levels?
Charlie.

Pool is 25,000 gallon. I run my pump only on low for 10 hours a day. When old SWG was working at 10 hours a day and during summer, chlorine production was set at 35% - scaled back as temps dropped. I replaced 1 speed pump with 2 speed model about a year ago and I'm saving about $15/month on electricity (at $.094 KwH).

Different flow sensors will never be calibrated exactly the same. It just sounds like your new sensor wants the flow rate a little higher than your old sensor. Have you cleaned/backwashed the filter recently?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
Different flow sensors will never be calibrated exactly the same. It just sounds like your new sensor wants the flow rate a little higher than your old sensor. Have you cleaned/backwashed the filter recently?

I have Jandy CL580 cartridge filter system. I cleaned about 6 weeks ago and went ahead and cleaned again this morning. Surprised how dirty they were after only 6 weeks. My pressure gauge on filter had stopped working and I replaced while cleaning this morning. With clean filters, on low pump speed, backpressure is under 5 psi, on high it is 17 psi. Hooked back up new power center. Initially said no flow, reset unit and that has gone away. Salt is reading 3800, which I know is high, but new units have no way to calibrate (at least that I know about).

OK emailed Jandy - Zodiac this morning. Received a response same day. Gotta say I'm impressed with their customer service. At first they offered to send new sensor. I commented that the sensor was working fine with old control panel, so not sure that was the issue. So, now they are sending me replacement board for power center.

I did ask about new units lacking the calibration feature in old units. They have changed this and now only a field service tech can calibrate. I can see where somebody could calibrate to wrong salinity and damage unit, so hence the change.

Thought I would post a follow up and retract the kudos I gave Jandy. They sent a replacement board only it was the board for the old style power center. I emailed back and had to take pictures of the new so they would know what to send. They said they would ship new board out. 2 weeks and no board, so I emailed back. Board was on back order for 6 weeks. I asked for complete new power unit replacement and was denied.

The new cell/sensor worked fine with old power center, so I decided to see if Pool Supply World would accept return of just power center. They did, so they get the pat on the back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.