Pump Selection

Jul 9, 2011
Joplin, MO
I am new to the site and the pump that was installed on my pool apparently was for above ground pools. I cant read anything on the pump any longer and need to replace it. I have a 18k fiberglass saltwater pool. Its 8' deep and has 1 1/2" pipe. I would like to set the timer to run the pump for 4hrs a night. I am not sure what HP motor i would need to make sure i get the proper circulation of water for this scenario. I am thinking 3/4HP is whats in there now and that's probably going to be sufficient but again not sure. Thanks for any help...

Also here is the pump i am looking at and one of the features that appeal to me.
Hayward ¾ HP SUPER PUMP SP2605X7
Self-priming (suction life up to 8’ above water level) although its a little over 8' from bottom of pool to my pump its only about 2' from top of water...

If you go one size larger with the SP2607X102S, you can get a two speed which is a good way to save energy/money. It doesn't come in a 3/4 version but the 1 HP version is actually an uprated pump so the performance is similar to a 3/4 HP full rated pump.

Thanks for the info I was considering the two speed pump however I don't know how to set up the easy touch for it so i would have to have someone come out and wire/set up the system for it. Since i only run the pump at night {except when we swim or vacuum} to keep the water cooler i figured a one speed was sufficient. During the day with the cover closed if i run the pump it heats the water up quite a bit and since i don't have a fenced yard i don't have much of a choice but to keep the cover closed. So i am thinking 3/4 HP running for 4-6 hrs every nite should be perfect?

BTW i noticed you were from Pleasanton, CA I was born in Walnut Creek Kaiser and grew up in Antioch... Big sharks fan had full season tix before we moved out here... about to put up logo for thumbnail...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.