Gold Supporter
May 10, 2011
Quitman, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Yesterday afternoon I checked the chlorine and it was at 1.5. I added 182 oz of bleach to raise it back to 5. The day before it was at 1 in the morning so I added another 182 oz jug to get it back to 5. In a 48 hour period I had to add 2 jugs. This just seems like a lot. This AM I just tested it and it's holding at 5. Ph had been steady at 7.5 all week until yesterday 7.8 which is ok but I added 2 qts of acid to bring it to 7.5. Here's the rest of my numbers:
cc 0 TA 100 Ch 320 CYA 40 Borate 40 Temp 90.
Do you think it's just the heat that's burning it off?
I've been running my pump at night from 6pm to 7am. I thought it would be easier on the pump and electric bill to run at night. I don't know it that has anything to do with it.
Thanks,
Tod

It's the heat. You use a lot more chlorine when the water is warmer. When manually adding chlorine, running the pump at night saves a tiny bit of chlorine compared to running during the day. With automatic chlorine feed it is the other way around, but in either case the difference is small.

Just down the road from you in Longview and just took my cya to 60. Aerating that pool at night helps too. Cooler water makes a difference. Dropped mine 6 degrees over night. 103 to 104 today ain't gonna be any fun either! Hang in there. Watch that minimum number for sure.

Thank you for the information. I'll get some more CYA and see if that helps stabilize the FC usage. At least keeping it at 7 it will help keep it from swinging from 5 to 2 or 1 as it has these past few weeks.
Woodyp, have you found a good place to purchase your CYA in Longview? My wife's office is there, so she goes there frequently. We've been using the Swimming Pool Superstore on the loop by lowes.

Exactly who I bought my pool from! I go to the one at the other end of the loop when I HAVE to! (let's just say they don't agree with my pool politics) But I buy HTH stabilizer and conditioner in a 4 lb. container from Wally World. I priced some liquid CYA at SPSS yesterday for grins. 35 bucks a gallon which is good for 30ppm per 10k gallons. Quicker,............but NO thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my friend's pool at the beach we used a granulated CYA product from Walmart and later, some from a pool store. The pool store product instructions said to adjust pH to something lower than 7.5, I think the 7.2-7.5 range, then add to the skimmer. We could not do that since the filter was due to be backwashed so we added it to socks. The stuff was really hard baked, and in larger grains than the HTH from Walmart. It took a long time to dissolve, even with us all squishing the socks for several hours. The HTH brand just dissolved itself in a few hours, almost no help from us. Price was close given slight size differences, as I recall.

Yes, I was amazed at how fast the CYA from HTH dissolved. I tied it in a sock on the side of the pool about 2pm and 4pm or so I was swimming by it and started squishing it and with a few minutes I was down to just a handful of product that needs to soak a little more. The stuff from the pool store takes almost a full week to dissolve.
I'll let the pump run 24 hours and tomorrow afternoon test the CYA level and adjust the FC accordingly.

Alright now, I asked almost this exact same question a couple weeks ago and said I was thinking of raising my CYA (40) and you guys told me I didn't need to raise my CYA. I too am using 182oz bleach per day and temps have been over 100 for 20 days here.

JasonLion said:
It's the heat. You use a lot more chlorine when the water is warmer. When manually adding chlorine, running the pump at night saves a tiny bit of chlorine compared to running during the day. With automatic chlorine feed it is the other way around, but in either case the difference is small.

Agreed, I always think, "Wow, wonder what my pool is starting to cook up?" when it's at 86 degrees. But, when you're on the BB Method the answer would be .... NOTHING!!!! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.