Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Jul 9, 2011
I'm new to the site and a new pool owner. Before registering I saw a post about someone in this same situation, but can't find the post now. I have a new 8,000 gallon pool and wanted the dogs to swim so wanted to be safer for them. The more I read on Pristine blue the more I don't want to use it, but I already have. I just put all the start up chemicals in 2 days ago. How can I switch back? Can I get rid of the copper or will it dissipate over time? The person who posted in the same situation said the pool store guy gave him the necessary stuff to go back and get rid of the pristine blue? I'm wondering what that was. I don't want to ruin/stain our new pool and I can't drain the water..we just paid a few hundred dollars for new pool water. Will the copper in the water hurt the dogs if they drink it? I want to get back to regular chlorine. Please help!

You can use a product called Revive, or Metal Out, Metal Free, Metal Remover etc. If you shock the pool water while copper is present, the walls turn a nice lime green color.

And FYI, when you filled your pool did you notify your water company. Most water companies will allow you one fill up per year. You don't get the water for free but the remove the "sewer" part of the bill. That's what hits you in the wallet. Since the water did not go into the sewer system, the water company doesn't have to treat that water. Similarly, some people have two water meters on their homes, one for irrigation and pool (which is set up as a non sewer metered meter) and the main water meter supplying the house, which is sewer metered. If you didn't notify your water company, call them, you have nothing to lose.

I would first test for copper before you purchased a bunch of unnecessary stuff. See if a pool store will do it for you. You are hoping the test result will be .3ppm or less. Post that test result and we'll go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.