New owner of beautiful green pool

quiet

Jul 7, 2011
The Colony, TX
We've just closed on our new home, a foreclosure, with a SWG pool. We have been doing a lot of reading and trying to learn as much as possible as we embark on this adventure, but now we are ready to get started. This site rocks, by the way. It has already been immensely helpful!

As advised in the "pool school" section, we purchased a recommended test kit, and here are our initial test results:
FC 0
PH: > 8
TA 350
TA 75
CYA 0
Salt 0

The pool water is fairly clear, but green. Algae, I presume. I will attempt to attach a picture.[attachment=0:eii8ghsl]pool.JPG[/attachment:eii8ghsl]

From what I have read, we need to shock the pool. I've read the "how to shock" section and my main question is about our lack of CYA (0). Is it best to add stabilizer before we shock?

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 131
The first thing you need to do is get the pH down to about 7.4. Then add enough CYA to get to about 30 ppm. Then buy more liquid chlorine or bleach than you ever think you'll need. Then start shocking and keep at it till you pass the OCLT.

At some point you'll need to add salt but you can do that any time.

After you lower your pH, start shocking using a shock level of 10 (for zero CYA).

24 hours after you add the CYA, increase FC/Shock levels based on the amount of CYA you added.

Allow 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid to lower pH before you add chlorine.
The two do not play well together.

Always have pump running when adding chems.

Is that "TA 350" you reported actually the CH #?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.