Filter question

Jun 10, 2011
SE Michigan
I have a Pentair Tagelus TA100 filter. Its brand new and my pool has only been open a month. Every time I have to turn my pump off to clean the strainer basket, the pump has to re-prime. Right after it primes, any air that was in the lines comes out of the returns (the TA100 does not have a manual air release valve so all air comes out of the returns). After the air bubbles clear out, a bunch of dirty water will then shoot out of the returns for 3-5 seconds. I talked to my pool builder about it and he mentions some valve that must be getting forced open from the pressure and letting the dirt back in to the pool. he suggested I turn down my priming speed from 3450 rpm to 2700, which I did. However, I just cleaned my filter basket and the same thing happened at 2700 rpm. should I turn the prime speed down even lower?

or what could my problem be that this is happening? I'd like you guys to somewhat educate me before I call my builder again on the matter.

I just recently got my pool to the crystal clear level I want and it is frustrating to see all of that dirty water going back in. its still clear but just the thought of all that dirt back in the pool........

I don't want to have to backwash every time I clean my filter basket, though this does stop the dirty water from coming out.

thanks

It sounds like air is getting into the filter when the pump is running and forcing air back through the pump when it shuts off. Check for air getting in the pump basket when the pump is running. Common places fo air getting into the system is the pump strainer basket lid. The drain plugs and the skimmer sucking air.

Clean and lube the pump basket lid o-ring.
Check the drin plug(s).
Check the skimmer to see if it's creating a vortex and sucking in air.
Check the skimmer weir to make sure it operates freely and correctly.

Bama Rambler said:
It sounds like air is getting into the filter when the pump is running and forcing air back through the pump when it shuts off. Check for air getting in the pump basket when the pump is running. Common places fo air getting into the system is the pump strainer basket lid. The drain plugs and the skimmer sucking air.

Clean and lube the pump basket lid o-ring.
Check the drin plug(s).
Check the skimmer to see if it's creating a vortex and sucking in air.
Check the skimmer weir to make sure it operates freely and correctly.

just to be clear, this only happens just after the pump primes. when I don't clean the filter basket for a few days, it works perfectly fine for those days. its only the first 3-5 seconds after it primes, when the speed of the pump is still at its max (now 2700 rpm). after those few seconds, it goes back to working fine again as the pump lowers to its normal running speed.

I will check each of those. i know the skimmers are not sucking in air and working right.

The fact that it only happens after the skimmmer basket is filled up fits perfectly with it being a suction leak. When the skimmer basket gets stuff in it it raises the suction head and would increase a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.