Can you reduce the FC level?

Dec 8, 2007
Hi, we are pretty new with all of this pool stuff, we are on a losing battle with the water quality. We have finally got almost everything back to within normal ranges, our CYA is slightly high, but we are slowly draining and refilling pool to get on top of this.

Unfortunately our FC is at least 10ppm.

Any help would be appreciated!
Hayley

Please post a full set of test results and not just say things are 'in normal range'. That really tells us nothing. A FC of 10 ppm may or may not be too high. It really depends on what your current CYA reading is. Even with normal CYA of 30-50 ppm 10 ppm or less FC is swimmable.

Read the Stickie entiltled "Help Us Help You". It will give you a good idea of what info we need.

Attachments

• sweeper.jpg
    sweeper.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 6
  • gooey stuff.jpg
    gooey stuff.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 6
hayleywebb25 said:
Hi, we are pretty new with all of this pool stuff, we are on a losing battle with the water quality. We have finally got almost everything back to within normal ranges, our CYA is slightly high, but we are slowly draining and refilling pool to get on top of this.

Unfortunately our FC is at least 10ppm.

Any help would be appreciated!
Hayley

Welcome to TFP! :-D You have come to the right place to get your pool corrected....but the more info the better. Please follow Waterbear's suggestion and then the 'show can get on the road'! btw, there is no such thing as a 'loosing battle' with the water quality when you have BBB and the support from TFP! Also, if you do not have a good test kit, I strongly urge you to get one from TFP. A good water test kit is the BEST investment we ever made in our pool, IMHO.

Again, welcome! Joyce

Hi, thanks for your support, Sorry from the Aqua Check, results are as follows:

PH: 7.4
FC: 10ppm
TA: 100 ppm
CYA: 150ppm

Can I buy a TFP kit in Australia?

Type of pool: Inground, pump system - unsure (we are able to backflush the system if that helps), Capacity: 40,000lt or I think about 10000 gallons.

Regards
Hayley

You shouldn't be too concerned with your FC right now. With a CYA of 150, that's going to be pretty close to your target minimum level anyway.
There's a sticky about the 'best guess chart' regarding FC vs CYA somewhere in the chemistry/measurement/BBB topics, but I think it only goes to CYA=120, and recommends a minumim FC of 8.something and a target of over 10, so you shouldn't be concerned about being too high.

The AquaCheck test strips have a fairly large variability on the CYA test, probably +-50, but CYA anywhere around 150 is way too high. From the sound of what you wrote you are working on getting the CYA down already. I suggest bringing it down to 80 or lower.

As long as your CYA is around 150 you should be keeping FC at 12 at a minimum, and preferably closer to 15.

A better test kit will help quite a bit. Duraleigh will hopefully be along soon to tell you about TF Test Kits. You could also look around to see if you can find the Taylor K-2006 of K-2006C test kits, which are very similar but with smaller quantities of reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.