Swamp conversion hiccup

Jul 1, 2011
Boardman Ohio
As I've said a few times I'm just about completely converted from a 2 year shut down un covered swamp in NE Ohio to a useable pool. Only issue is I can't get my water to clear up to get the finishing touches. My results of my test are pretty dead on aside from until I get my additional chlorine reagents I am using the 1.8 of pool water and filling the rest with distilled and multiplying by 5. I vacuumed to waste last night for quite awhile and back flushed to the point the water was at the very bottom of the skimmer. My numbers before the vac to waste were:

15 FC (ish since I'm not too terribly accurate on testing type)
0.0 CC (been at 0 for 4 days or so steady)
7.8 PH (but have a bunch of CYA in a sock)
110 TA
190 - 200 CH (was insanely high at beginning of swamp fun)
CYA is down to about 20 now but I had added some last week and already had it portioned in sock to get from 20 back to 40 as soon as i started refill.

I will add pics as soon as I get home or wife emails them to me. I do have about a cup of DE in my filter (psi was 9 I added till raised till 10 after I started refilling last night). I do not have Borates in but have the boxes waiting for the pool to clear up so I dont have to keep vacuuming to waste/backwashing. Water was getting better and better since switching to BBB but as of last week looked about exactly like it does now. Very foggy light blue color. I started keeping pool at 15 since adding CYA even though it wasn't going to show on the test for about a week. Last night I added Clorox at 9:45 PM and got a steady 15 till 4:02pm my wife texted me (at home with 2 kids under 2 she can only do the test every few hours at 2pm it was still 15ish) that the reading was at 10. While home I'm skimming the second I see a leaf touch my pool and after vacuuming for hours last night I did get about 2 or 3 full strainer baskets of stuff out. I live surrounded by trees and like I said...it was a swamp a few weeks ago. I would make the vacuuming a heck of a lot easier if I could see (or at least come close to seeing) a little deeper then the surface. Half of the time I'm trying to re-verify I have the brushes face down. Am I at the point where it's just keep brushing and vacuuming and brushing blindly and it will clear up? Thanks for the input and reading if you read the book I just typed.

I've attached a picture my wife emailed me. She took it on her iPhone and it actually looks a little less blue then it does when I'm standing over it. Weather here with the fact its a phone picture probably not helping. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 189
CYA does not affect pH. If you want to bring down pH you need dry acid or MA. Continue to keep the pool at shock level as much as possible and keep the pump and filter running 24/7. You may want to go ahead and re-test the CYA to make sure you did not overshoot your target.

zea3 said:
CYA does not affect pH. If you want to bring down pH you need dry acid or MA. Continue to keep the pool at shock level as much as possible and keep the pump and filter running 24/7. You may want to go ahead and re-test the CYA to make sure you did not overshoot your target.

Hmmm since coming on the site I assumed it did based off of the pool calculator: "Note: It can take solid stabilizer up to a week to dissolve. It will also lower your pH."

Also with the amount of time I will be shocking I thought that can also effect PH test?

Pump has not turned off since first chems were added (powder "shock" calcium hypochloride)

I did full test last night after hose was off (those are the numbers I gave). So I assume the 15 is actually OVER what my current shock range is as CYA was at about 20 last night and I still kept chlorine at 15 because I put sock in to bring up to 40 last night.

Once the water is clear I actually have first day of BBB pics but this cloudy water is driving me insane.

Does this all sound right? Do I just keep testing and keep everything going?

Just keep at it. I was stuck in that stage for what seemed like an eternity. Every time I vacuumed I thought for sure nothing else could be in there, and when the pool finally cleared, I was amazed to see how much was still actually there.

I appreciate the support! It's hard practicing POP! I have a 21 month year old daughter that loves swimming and she can't say much yet but she points to the pool and say "pool" all day and I'm like "Yes honey, thats sort of a pool that the previous owners turned into an extention of Lake Erie"....anywho I think it's looking a bit better and after taking the family to Cleveland all day in the sun the FC only dropped from 20 (raised it a tad knowing I'd be out all day) to 8ish. Also overnight I'm getting little to no change at all! I'll post another pic tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jenlop said:
I have no advice cause I'm brand new here and have a swamp too, but I just wanted to say Hi. I used to live in Youngstown as a kid and have family in Hubbard and Campbell. :-D

Ha! I grew up in Hubbard! Because everyone there knows everyone I'll PM you. However since you do have the swamp you should listen to what these great people have to say. They got me from dark green and things living in my pool to clearing up really fast and without spending crazy money at pool stores in no time!

I'm using a big leaf bag on one skimmer pool and a vacuum on the other. My wife called me at work yesterday when she did her first test of the day and said shallow end is visable all the way down! :goodjob: Thanks for the help. In a few days it will be completely clear hopefully and I can post pictures of each step. Shallow end had absolutely nothing on the bottom not even dirt. What is even more positive about this is I have spent a lot more time vacuuming and raking the incline and deep end so I would think everything or just about everything should be gone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.