Intelliflo died; looking for cheap replacement.

recoil

Aug 10, 2007
I know I'm being a cheapskate, but I'm looking for options.

I opened my pool this year and everything worked fine. I happened to turn off the breaker to the Intelliflo and afterwards, it won't come back online. Fuses are good. Not sure what happened. My bud thinks I need to buy a new "controller" that sits on the top (happened to him). Possible cost, $500.

I have a 20x40 inground pool with one skimmer and two drains on the bottom. I use a robot pool cleaner (no water line for that). With the Intelliflo, I ran it around 30 GPM. I don't have any trees so there is very little debris that gets into the pool. I'm looking for a decent, cost effective replacement.

I built this pool for my wife about three years ago. She passed away in January (34 years old). Because I don't use the pool, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I don't mind keeping it open for the occasional use by other family members - but would really appreciate any recommendations on an alternative option.

It would be nice if the replacement had the same power requirements for easy hookup.

Thanks.
Steve

If the pump is less than three years old it might be under warranty. Also, make very sure it isn't something simple like a bad circuit breaker before you go replacing the entire pump.

If your electric rates are lower than $0.20/kwh you should look at two speed pumps. Above $0.20/kwh your best deal is probably another variable speed.

One of the best two speed pumps is the Pentail WhisperFlo WFDS-4, 1 HP, 230 volts, two speed.

Hey guys,

I checked power. It's all good. I removed the pump. Broke the bolts off the base (rusted out). I guess my installer didn't hear of stainless (grin).

I'm ready to buy a new pump (maybe get the Intelliflo fixed later and use it as a backup). Will a 1HP be enough for my setup? I called the local pool guys and they don't want to quote me a 1HP because I have a 3HP. I explained I chose the 3HP for the variable speed; not for the HP. But they are insistent they need to come out to look at my pool (further wait; all the while my pool is getting greener and greener; almost looks tasty right about now).

I have two main drains, one wide mouth skimmer, two returns; all 1.5 inch pipe. I have a Sand Dollar 80 for the filter.

Is there a preferred site sponsor to work with?

Many thanks!
Steve

You might look into getting a dual speed. This has the advantage of being able to run the pump at high speed for cleaning or spa use, and the lower speed for water circulation/skimming. There may even be a direct add-on motor for the Intelliflo where you'd only have to replace the motor. I believe AO Smith sells 2 speed pump motors that can power WhisperFlow pumps and these go for about $350, though you might be able to source a cheaper 2-speed motor. We have roughly the same size pool, and ours is configured with 2HP WhisperFlows, so you might want to go with 2HP for your pool.

No waterfalls or anything fancy. I do have four jets that i can turn on/off that shoot water from one side of the pool into the pool - but I don't like turning them on. They are too noisy. I really don't swim so this is just to keep the water clean. Someone might swim in the thing once a month.

Replacing just the motor on Intelliflo would require a 3.96 THP motor which would be an energy hog so I wouldn't go that route unless you can downsize the Impeller as well. However, I believe the wet end is the same housing as the Whisperflo so you might be able to change the impeller, diffuser and motor but by that time, it might be better to replace the entire pump.

But given there is so much invested in the pump already, it would be a shame not to at least try to fix it. Which Intelliflo model do you have and does show any signs of life on the display. If it is completely blank, it could just be a breaker or fuse blown.

Breaker is fine; fuses are fine. Display is completely dead. No LEDs whatsoever.

Buying a new drive unit seems to cost more than buying a whole new, Pentail WhisperFlo WFDS-4.

Since my KWH is around 9 cents, I was thinking of getting the WhisperFlo as long as 1HP is enough.

Thanks!
Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That communication cable ran from the pump to the Intellitouch Control Center. I disconnected it from the pump to check the terminals and they looked OK. So I plugged it back in and tightened the locking nut, and the LED's come back on. Now the pump runs fine. The locknut must've been a bit loose.

I wanted to say, "Thanks!" to everyone who posted. I replaced the Intelliflo with a 1HP pump yesterday. My lime green pool went milky white overnight (thank goodness). The water is circulating really well (judging by the "pull" of the skimmer compared against the setting I ran before). It's probably not as energy efficient but it cost less than replacing my dead "drive" on the Intelliflo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.