Water evaporation rate?

Apr 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know there are dozens of factors that play in to how much water evaporates from a pool, but ours just seems high.

On average, it seems we're loosing about 1" per day (that's on non-swimming days, so it's not due to splash-out).

Various bits of info that may or may not be pertinent:

• * Water temperature stays around 80-85ºF
    * High air temp is typically mid-90s.
    * Low air temp is typically mid-70s.
    * 22,000 gallon pool
    * Located in Birmingham, AL

Fill a bucket with pool water, mark the level and set on the step so it stays the same temperature as your pool. Mark the pool water level also. If they both drop the same amount in a day, it's evaporation. If the pool drops faster, you have a leak.

I agree, must be a leak. My pool about about 1-2 inches of water loss a day. I just had new plaster and tile done, along with new equipment (pump/filter/skimmer) and its been about 6 days with 90+ heat and I've only lost about 1 to 1.5 inches of water.

I had water loss at the skimmer, and thru my old plaster which had major blisters popping off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.