New plumbing on pump- problems!!!

Jul 8, 2011
We just got a 18 x 33 oval pool. We got the 22 inch Waterway sand filter system with 1.5 horsepower pump. Kids over 4th of July and a wayward firecracker caused a leak in one of the hoses. So he hardplumbs it with PVC. Now it seems to not have any pressure on it unless he turn cut off valve partially closed? (then it doesnt leak out backwash port) But when he backwashed it for first time, I'm pretty sure he did it wrong and sprayed sand in pool. Ever since, we had had problems. There is still sand in pool and it's cloudy. And the main issue is there is water coming out the backwash line when in filter position. A good bit of it. We've checked the spider gasket, looks good, too new for a lateral too be broke, could my sand level be low now and causing this? We pumped out a pretty good bit cleaning up the mess. Getting irratated. Please help!!

Welcome to TFP!

One issue you may be having is a pump that's too big for your filter. Typically a 24" sand filter is about the right size for a 1HP pump. You have a smaller filter and a larger pump.

Water leaking out the backwash line during filter operation indicates a multiport problem, usually the gasket. Sand going into the pool can be a multiport issue as well.

I don't think low sand is your problem.

Can you clarify what is hard-plumbed and what valve you are closing to get pressure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.