Copper plumbing

BNickdoc

Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
I have been lurking for months and need help. I would like to add borate to my pool. I am on step 1 of the sticky - adjusting the TA. I realized I had a problem when I could not get the TA < 300. I tested my well water and it has a TA 450. Since I live in Lubbock, TX and lose ~ 1" per day due to evaporation, I realized the problem. My plan is to allow the pool to evaporate, keep the pH close to 7.0 and continue aeration with my spa jets and five kids. Once I get the TA to 100 and adjust the pH I will add the borate and MA calculated with a full volume (54,000gal).

My question is how long can I keep the pH at 7.0 without damaging the copper plumbing (the pool was built in the 1950's)? I re-plumbed the above ground with schedule 40 PVC, but below ground is 1.5" copper.

Thank you for having me on the forum, this is my first pool and this site has been fantastic.

Welcome to TFP!

With high TA fill water and lots of evaporation, you may never get the TA down to 100. In your situation it is often best to install an automatic acid feed system.

Keeping the PH at 7.0 is completely fine with copper. There are only problems below 7.0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.