Krystal Clear SWG Questions

Jun 22, 2011
I have tried researching this on the boards. I am so confused though, and the directions that came with the Krystal Clear SWG are confusing me even more. Few questions:

The pool will be filled in a couple of hours. We already have the SWG connected, but not running.

1.) Once it is filled, do I add the salt before turning on the SWG or do I turn the SWG on and then add salt?

2.) I am supposed to take the pool brush and brush the bottem after adding the salt to make sure the salt is not staying on the ground? Correct?

3.) Can we swim while the salt is being mixed around, etc.?

4.) We have 18 x 52 Ultra Frame pool. It calls for 175 pounds of salt (I think that's the amount, have to double check). Is the chart usually accurate on how much salt to add? And, should I add all of this salt at once or add it slowly and keep testing?

I only have the walmart test kit and the strips that came with the SWG right now. I will order the better test kit, but we are ready to start swimming now. Thanks so much!!!

You'll want to give the salt some time to dissolve before turning the SWCG on. You'll also want to add CYA to get to the level the SWCG manufacturer recommends. Since the SWCG won't be producing chlorine right away, and you'll be using a lot of chlorine due to having no CYA, you'll need to add chlorine regularly to maintain clear water.

You should be able to swim as soon as the water is warm enough to suit you.

So, 50-100 ppm? Is that correct?

I add the CYA at the same time I add the salt?

I add chlorine to get the correct level until the SWG starts producing it?

Do I add the whole 175 pounds of salt right away?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks so much for your quick response!

highlights said:
So, 50-100 ppm? Is that correct?

I add the CYA at the same time I add the salt?

I add chlorine to get the correct level until the SWG starts producing it?

Do I add the whole 175 pounds of salt right away?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks so much for your quick response!

Concerning the salt, you need to get it added to the pool. Distribute it around to speed dissolving (don't pile it in one place), then run your filter pump for 24 straight hours to get it completely dissolved and circulated. I always stop 1/2 to 3/4 bag less than the charts say to make sure I don't add too much initially (i.e. the only way to get rid of salt once it is in the pool is to drain water and refill). Then, after testing the concentration at the 24 hour mark, I start the SWG if the concentration is over 2500 parts per million and continue to add a little salt over the next day or two to boost the concentration to the optimal 3000 ppm required by my SWG.

Until the SWG is running at full capacity, chemically chlorinate the pool to maintain proper levels and keep the water safe and clear. You still need to adjust your PH and alkalinity, and you may need to add varying amounts of chlorine to keep the FC at safe levels until the SWG is operating at full capacity and CYA is regulated.

You'll get the hang of it in no time.

The ideal CYA level with a SWG is between 70 and 80.

You can add CYA and salt in either order or both at the same time.

Yes, manually add chlorine to maintain the correct level until the SWG is doing so on it's own.

I don't know if 175 lbs of salt is the right amount, but whatever the correct amount it can all be added at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.