I have my results on my pool water and I could use some help

Jun 28, 2011
I came on yesterday and talked about my 24x24 54 deep round above ground pool with a sand filter. I took my water to the pool store and these are my results
AC-1.28
Residual Chlorine 1.28
Combined Chlorine is 0 and I just put in two tablets
PH - 8.1
Akalinity-247
CYA-56
Phosphate 200
Calcium Hardness-199
Iron-0
Copper-.03
Please advise
Doglady

Re: I have my results on my pool water and I could use some

IF you believe those results...
pH is way too high. You need to add acid. Muriatic acid is the least troublesome.
Chlorine is way too low for your CYA level. You need bleach. Or liquid chlorine. Whatever they call it, the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. It will have the least unwanted side effects.

And speaking of side effects, no more pucks! Each time you add one, you're adding more CYA. You're already near the top end of manageable for CYA. If you get an algae bloom - and it looks likely if those readings are cortrect - you'll have a heckuva time shocking the pool, and will doubtless get the advice to drain half and refill.

Bookmark Pool Calculator. It will tell you the recommended levels and quantities you need to get there. You really, really, really need to get your own test kit, and do some more reading in Pool School.

Thank you both. I will add some Bleach as soon as possible. I did the calculator and it stated about 96 oz It also says to add some muratic acid. This is not easy to figure and since I am just learning it will take me some time. My pool gets full sun and I am positive that this is the reason that I am going thru so much Chlorine. I did order the test kit and I am expecting it any day. That in itself I am positive will help me trememdously. Thanks again and more then Likely I will be asking more Questions too.
Doglady

I have put all the figures into the pool calculator and it is telling me to put in 139 oz of 6 % bleach and add 86 oz of Muriatic acid. then for me to take out 29% of my water. My pool is vinyl do I need to watch the Ch too?
If I would add the muriatic acid how do I go about adding this? It scares me to use it. What is the best way to add this if I need too or should I wait until my t100 kit arrives to worry about it?
Doglady

IT's not a big deal to add the MA. Just pour it in front of a running return. I use a plastic measuring cup to measure and pour it from. You can just rinse it in the pool after you're done. Do the chlorine the same and once you rinse the cup you can use it for the chlorine.

Thanks a million I am going to go home and do this and as soon as my kit gets here I will recheck the Ph to see where I am at. I appreciate your help!
Doglady

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.