The Pool store does it again...this time on water test kit.

Jul 1, 2011
Boardman Ohio
I will admit part of this would be my fault for being impatient. I read all of pool school a few weeks ago and knew that I needed my own test kit. Decided that instead of waiting for something to come in the mail I would buy the Leslie's one that is listed since I have a Leslie's right up the street. I went with a print out asking for:

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Water-Testing/Test-Kits/81329.html

After reading the Extended Test Kit thread by Jason I have realized I have purchased:

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Water-Testing/Test-Kits/81330.html

They told me since I have used a portion of all the reagents they obviously cannot take it back and that they do not sell the one listed at this particular store. They also said they do sell the powder and additional reagents seperately at that location and I can buy them. Not sure if it's even worth it. The other issue I have is that the kit I now have reads to 5ppm for FC/TC and with my CYA at 40ppm (where it is now) my shock level and mustard algae shock level is way higher then this tester can read. Even with the distilled water dillusion (which also increases my not as accurate tester +/- of being correct if I understand properly) I can only get a top end of around 20 FC and my mustard algae on Pool Calculator is listed at 24 ppm.

I guess my question is as I don't really feel like flushing the 60 some dollars down the tube reguardless of the fact that it was partially my fault. Does it make sense for me at this point to just buy the additional reagents or is buying the complete test kit online (the TF-100) worth dropping the additional cash? Also any complete inaccuracies I have said above, please don't hold back from pointing out as I have no problem with being corrected. That's why I'm on this site to begin with, to learn.

Re: The Pool store does it again...this time on water test k

At the risk of having a self-serving agenda, TFTestkits sells separately the FAS/DPD chlorine test ($26) that will test in excess of 50ppm.

With that and your existing kit, you have the equivalent of the Taylor k-2006 and you'll be in good shape.

That's not a self serving agenda at all. That's exactly the kind of input I am looking for. Self serving was the guy selling me the wrong kit and the same exact guy telling me they don't have that one when I went back and said he had sold me the wrong one. Guessing he got a few bucks commision on my $60 purchase :roll:

I'm glad you are able to supplement your kit without having to buy a whole new one. Having a proper test kit is the most critical tool you need for the BBB method. :)

Well either way I appreciate the help and ordered the kit. Just going to do the dilluted distilled water test and keep my former swamp up at, at least 20ppm FC till the water clears up or I can verify exactly where I am from the TF kit I ordered. I would rather give the money to someone who answered me truthfully and have been a help to thousands then the goon who was just after as much cash as I could send his way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.