LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So this morning I wake up to go look at my sparkling pool and to my horror the water level was below the return outlet! The pump was still running and had been for several hours. Luckily it didn't burn up because there was some leftover water in the pump basket which was almost boiling!

I figured out that the problem was that someone had cross threaded the drain fitting on the bottom of the filter housing and apparently 20psi was it's limit before starting to spray everywhere.

I performed the needed repairs and refilled the pool to where it needed to be. Then I finally got around to testing the water like I had planned hours earlier.

Just to add some perspective, at the beginning of the season (5/15) my readings were:

FC:9
CC:0.5
TC:9.5
pH:7.6
TA:120
CH:50
CYA:90
Temp:70F

Until mid June I was adding acid once a week and aerating to get my TA down to 80 which I was quite happy with. With recent rainfall amounts over 10 inches and the inadvertent draining and refilling my high CYA is also down to a manageable level. Unfortunately now my TA is low!

Current readings:

FC:6
CC:0
TC:6
pH:7.4
TA:50
CH:50
CYA:40
Temp: 84F

From what I understand TA is supposed to buffer pH changes. The pool calculator says 80-120 for target TA. If my pH isn't budging do I even need to worry about it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.