What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear pool?

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Hi,

I have this brown dust (it disintegrates when I brush it or just come close to it with a brush) that accumulates at the bottom of my pool only while the pump is running. If I vacumm at night, then shut the pool off, I will wake up the next morning and it's ok (no dust accumulation). However if I vacuum in the morning and run the filter all day, when I come home from work, it's all over the bottom again. Been going on since I opened the pool in May.

Here are my latest readings using the TF-100 kit.

FC 3.0
TC 3.0
TA 60
CYA 45
pH 7.7

Could this be algae? My water is always crystal clear. It accumulates in any crevices and seams along the bottom only when the pump is running. I wonder if I need to change over the DE in my filter? Can't get rid of the stuff, whatever it is. In this picture you can see it at the edge of the walls and the bottom and it's scattered around the bottom. The dark spot in the upper right side of the picture is just the reflection of a tree.

[attachment=0:wc56ja41]IMG_6588 (1283 x 855).jpg[/attachment:wc56ja41]

Attachments

• IMG_6588 (1283 x 855).jpg
    IMG_6588 (1283 x 855).jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 2,341
Re: What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear poo

Dirt (super fine), pollen, maybe some old dead algae. I gave up filtering and vac'd mine to waste to thin it out. Split it up 3 different times so far to minimize water loss at a shot. Still got some..................but it's thinned waaaaaaay down.

Yep, I'd say dust, pollen and such. I deal with it everyday, as I am surrounded buy plants and trees, road dust, etc. I just plop the vacuum in the pool everyday and let it do it's thing. I also use skimmer socks, you wouldn't believe the amount of pollen and bugs it catches. I know how you feel, looking at nice sparkily water and seing a dirt splotch on the bottom. My daughter thinks I have OCD over running the vac for the pool...lol

Reactions: Coachlump

I would try two things which may eliminate or minimize it....

1. Up your FC level to about 6-8ppm for at least 4 days and see if that helps. If it's algae, the "dirt" will increase at first and then go away.

2. Clean you filter. What is your normal psi? what is it now? when did you last recharge?

duraleigh said:
I would try two things which may eliminate or minimize it....

1. Up your FC level to about 6-8ppm for at least 4 days and see if that helps. If it's algae, the "dirt" will increase at first and then go away.

2. Clean you filter. What is your normal psi? what is it now? when did you last recharge?

I will raise the FC level as you suggest to see if there is any difference.

My normal psi is about 11. It's running at about 13-14 now. i usually only change out the DE as it approaches 18-20 (usually once a season). I've been running with the same DE since I opened on May 8th.

It doesn't really hurt anything to change it out now to see if there is a difference. Maybe I'll try that this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas.

pepsiholic said:
Yep, I'd say dust, pollen and such. I deal with it everyday, as I am surrounded buy plants and trees, road dust, etc. I just plop the vacuum in the pool everyday and let it do it's thing. I also use skimmer socks, you wouldn't believe the amount of pollen and bugs it catches. I know how you feel, looking at nice sparkily water and seing a dirt splotch on the bottom. My daughter thinks I have OCD over running the vac for the pool...lol

I hear you. If I put the vacuum in, it is gone in seconds. Better yet, all I need to do is brush the bottom and it's gone. It only returns when the pump is running though. Probably due to the pump pushing the water into the deep end and the dirt/dust sinks there. Either that or it's coming from the filter. I may try cleaning the filter this weekend to see if it makes a difference (even though my psi is only 1-2 above startup).

There is discussion going on now about the suggested psi increase to indicate backwash is due. It looks like around 20-25% is about the maximum increase the forum would like to see so you would be at that right now.

I would backwash the filter. Waiting for the psi to almost double restricts your flow excessively.

You might try that first before adding the FC so, if one of them works, you can identify what the cure was. :lol:

Reactions: Kay Manzanares

Hey Dave,
Can you point me to the discussion about the psi increase/backwash? I searched for it & can't find it. Just curious cause if mine gets 8 psi above, I hardly have any flow from the returns. Mine is usually about 4 above & flow is greatly diminished.

Run53 -

I have the exact same problem! The "dust" only appears when the pump is on for a while. I'm kind of glad because that tells me that its not algae :) The filter bag on my Polaris 280 does not catch it, its just too fine a material. I am going to try vacuuming to waste and rigging socks on the returns to see if I can trap it and get rid of it... I was going to add DE to my sand, but seeing that others like you have the same problem even with DE filters it seems unlikely that adding DE will help me :-(

Here are some pics of my "dust":

Attachments

• dust1.jpg
    dust1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,981
  • dust2.jpg
    dust2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,932

wkener2,

this looks exactly like my steps. i'm pretty sure it's dust. i don't think that it really matters if pump is running or not - i think when pump is running it moves it around and it becomes more visible in the uneven spots.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

mckay,

I just ordered the filter bag you recommended :) Vacuuming to waste helped but some of the silt still comes back...

Hello, I too what like to know if there was a definative answer please?

Last year a spent every evening of the season cleaning fine dust from the bottom after the pump had been running, only to find it returned 3-4 hours later.

At the end of the year I changed laterals, sand and pressure was nice and low and water clear.

Just opened and run for a few hours and its back?

pool052016.jpg

What's the reason for this stuff on the bottom?

I have been fighting what I thought was a algae problem all summer. I got suspiciouse about the stuff forming when I ran the pump and on purpose I didn't run the pump all day. When I got home after work... Nothing was on the bottom of the pool. It seams to be produced only when the pump is running.

Any idea how to prevent this from happening?

Reactions: shbrewer
Hi, I've been getting this brown dust too! It only happens when my sand filter is running. I have a 18' above ground and just changed the sand and checked all the parts inside and everything is good. I've backwashed and rinsed a number of times and it's still happening!!! Chlorine levels are good and PH level is good. The water is crystal clear. I noticed though if I don't vacuum it up in a timely manner it will leave a yellow stain. Please help, it's driving me crazy!!

Bumping an old thread. This EXACT same thing is happening to me! I've changed my sand, laterals, back washed, vacuumed to waste. You name it, I've tried it. This stuff keeps coming back. How did you guys solve this?!

I get this in my pool this time of year. It's pollen in my case.
There is a huge red pine (neighbors tree) that is the bane
of my pools existence. It overhangs the pool in the deep
end and is dropping items year round.

Needles then pine cones, then pollen nodules. I'll get
a brief break from all that usually only for July & August,
then it's dumping on it again. Wish i could cut it down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.