The Monster that Lurks Over my Pool

Feb 26, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have a HUGE problem with my pool, namely, a monstrosity of a date palm that dumps debris into my pool daily. The tree is probably 50 feet high and has a frond-span of probably 25-30 feet from end to end. Last night I must have cleaned out over a hundred seeds that had fallen in a 24 hour period. As a result, I can't get my phosphates below 100ppm and have to shock the water often. This tree bane of my (pool) existence.

Short of installing a Florida Enclosure which I understand to be very expensive, does anyone have an good ideas on how to cover my pool from above? We had a tree trimmer come to clean the palm once, but after getting stabbed multiple times by the fronds and suffering significant blood loss, he cried and went home - unable to tame the beast. I also don't want to remove the tree since it does provide a ton of shade and really make the back years look spectacular. So, keeping those thoughts in mind, any input/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Have you seen the triangular "windsail" shades that seem to be the rage these days? Don't know the dimensions of your pool, but I've seen some pretty big sails out there. They stand on poles, similar to a dining tent, but it's only a triangular "roof", no sides. Usually two corners are higher than the third to allow for an angle to encourage debris to roll off, etc. Just a thought...

I actually have three sail shades covering our patio area - they're great! But to cover my pool I'd have to find places to anchor the corners that would spread out over the pool - not so great.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know about how much a Florida Enclosure costs?

Our Pindo Palm, also called Jelly Palm, haas messy fruit so my husband trims the flowering stalks before they can set fruit. Ours is still short enough to reach with a ladder and extending loppers, the kind with double action and extending handles. The pole mounted trimmers that have a cord to pull the chopper are probably not strong enough for these stalks. I've seen a powered chain saw on a pole that scared me, must pack quite a kick. A friend, in construction, got a cherry picker to trim him mexican palms, but I suspect he borrowed rather than rented it.

They vary by size (of course). You'll need a concrete footer around the perimeter. I think our 36' by 36' was roughly $9,500. Price will depend on the roof design, number of doors, etc.

ntermini,
I know you didn't ask, but your phosphate levels have nothing to do with chlorine levels. While you're around here, I'd recommend taking a read through Pool School (link in the upper right of the page) and learning all the stuff the pool stores don't want you to know.

Melt In The Sun said:
ntermini,
I know you didn't ask, but your phosphate levels have nothing to do with chlorine levels. While you're around here, I'd recommend taking a read through Pool School (link in the upper right of the page) and learning all the stuff the pool stores don't want you to know.

Yes, Melt, I understand that. I've been using a CL Free system (copper ion) for my pool. But, because of the high phosphates (from tree debris), the copper is absorbed very quickly. So, when the water would become cloudy, I would shock the pool and let the chlorine level dissipate, and repeat the process as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a similar issue that I'm trying to solve.

I have a Bitternut Hickory that drops catkins (long skinny flowers) and nuts into my pool all day. The skimmer acts like a giant tea strainer discolouring the water. The flowers don't all make it into the skimmer. Some float on the surface, others sink to the bottom.

The nuts float for a while, then sink to the bottom and stain the liner.

I'm going to purchase a PoolSkim to see if it helps at all. I think it will collect most of the nuts and catkins, not to mention the leaves in the autumn.

I wonder if a PoolSkim would make your clean-up easier?

Is a pool cover an option?

Can you position the returns to aim towards the skimmer?

In certain seasons, one just has to tend the pool daily. Rake out debris, empty skimmers. Here in The Woodlands (they call it that for good reason!) My pool, backing the pine/oak forest, gets skimmers emptied every other day until fall when that is daily.

Someone planted a mulberry tree next to our pool before we bought our home. The result is a bunch of mulberries that drop into the deep end in spring and early summer. Last year, this led to some staining of the plaster and a big mess every week. This year, I bought a Barracuda MX8 vacuum side autocleaner with a leaf catcher basket and the pool has remained clean and free of those danged mulberries. I also fixed the skimmer weir (as it was missing its foam backing) and now the surface skimming prevents leaves from dropping to the bottom. You really should consider getting an autocleaner like the MX8. Obviously, those dates will still remain in the water flow and that might alter your pool chemistry somewhat. But, our pool is maintained with standard liquid chlorine and has not been affected by such junk falling into the pool.

OH, yeah, you need to cut those flowering stalks before they bloom. Use a SawsAll, reciprocating saw, and a ladder, and someone to hold the ladder. Remember if you fall, fall into the pool but toss the electrically powered saw away from the pool first.

anonapersona said:
OH, yeah, you need to cut those flowering stalks before they bloom. Use a SawsAll, reciprocating saw, and a ladder, and someone to hold the ladder. Remember if you fall, fall into the pool but toss the electrically powered saw away from the pool first.

Did I mention that the tree is over four stories high with needle sharp spikes at the base of each frond? I'm thinking about renting a cherry picker and a suit of armor.

Reactions: jennz4b
4 stories, wow. Cherry picker may be the only answer.

I just did some study about pruning palms. Per the experts, one should not prune palm leaves until they are totally crisp. The tree withdraws nutrients from the dying leaves and the cutting of a yellow or half brown leaf steals nutrients. Each lost leaf means that in order for the next new leaf to grow, an additional old leaf must be consumed. So if one cuts each brown spotted leaf, soon the tree will have none. Just a warning. My spouse cannot abide any non green levees and now some palms have only 6 leaves left. See Dave's Garden, Palm Care, online. Several university sites confirm this, but Dave's Garden is best written.

Reactions: jennz4b
Thanks Anona,

That's good to know! I've also noticed that when you cut the fronds, you encourage new ones to grow more quickly, hence, more seeds. So hopefully I'll be able to get in there and just cut the seed pods.

Looking forward to checking out that site you mentioned. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.