PacFab FNS Plus (FNSP 60) DE Filter Replacement

Duk

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2007
Katy, TX.
Well, my 11 year old PacFab De filter bit the dust over the weekend. It developed a crack in the lower section. The filter was approaching 30 psi when I discovered the leak. I tore the unit down, epoxied the crack both inside and out and let it cure overnight. When I put the filter back in service, and loaded it with new DE, everything was good. The following day, the crack started to weep. I expect the new DE material helped pack off the leak temporarily, but was displaced on the next start-up. The repair (band-aid) did buy me a few days which allowed me to locate a new filter. PacFab has been bought out by Pentair. I researched my alternatives, primarily Hayward and Pentair and bouht a new Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid DE Filter (60). I had read they were very similar to the PacFab model but were slighty shorter which required other users to shim them up with a tile and some minor piping changes. My install did not require any modifications whatsoever. It turned out to be a direct replacement. It did take alot of moving the unit around to start the connections on the the multiport union connections, but eventually all made-up leak tight. So, for all you PacFab, Purex Triton users, there is a direct replacement for your DE filter.
Stay Cool and Enjoy,
Duk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.