Smart Pool Nitro SmartKleen Universal Review

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Smart Pool Nitro SmartKleen Universal Review NOT RECOMMENDED

:pale:Hello all,
I'm going to get the Nitro Smartkleen NC22, I've done comparisons with the Nitro NC31/32/51 and it looks like most of the parts are the same (pwr supply, pump, impeller, intakes, bottom lind filter bag, impeller cover, drive tube mount, and drive motor v2) but not the wall climbing models.

Local merchant has it for $399. I know Cosco has the similar model for $299 and on line can be found between those prices. Merchant has 30 day policy and seem to be pretty good people.

I'll post a review and some pictures.

Manufactures produced video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-lB89AdUkA
Most of the info seems correct.

I'm removing my Recommendation. First unit lasted 2 years, 2nd unit lasted 14 months. Comes with a 12 month warranty. (Thank goodness for VISA extended Warranty)

Last edited:
Re: Smart Pool Nitro SmartKleen Universal

Initial test. All is ok. I was concerned at first it didn't sink to the bottom, but after a few minutes it settled on the bottom and went about it's business. I had to stop it after an hour and a half, but the pool looked good.

When I removed it from the pool it did let a little debris back into the pool.I'll try to be more careful when I take it out.

Emptying the filter is easy. I was suprised by how fine the filter material is. I didn't think I had that much sand/fine particles in the bottom of the pool. They were in the bag along with leaves, small acorns and other debris that falls in daily.

It surprised me by climbing the wall. I have a concrete pool and where the bottom and sides meet it has a nice rolled transition, the cleaner rolled right up the wall it got about a couple feet up then reversed itself.

No problem with the pool drain. It states that in the literature and it went right over the drain with no problem.

Construction. Is plastic. I thought it would be bigger, but its really not bad. It isn't that heavy either. There are two motors, one that drives the roller and one that operates the pump. The pump pumps enough water to keep the front wheels down and really filters/sucks debris well.

We've given it a name, Robey
Second use went well. Cleaned the bottom of the pool. Shut down after 2 hours. Cleaned filter bag. Collected leaves, small acorns and sand from the bottom of the pool. Upon removal from the pool it does release some fine particles back into the pool. I need to remove slower or figure a better way to remove it. I removed Robey by the skimmer so some of the fine particles get sucked into the filter. It works for me. It's easier than dragging out the hose and such.

Satisfied after a month of usage. Still haven't posed pictures. One small issue, the Velcro whiskers I lost one, contacted the manufacturer and they sent a replacement set. They act as filters trapping debris when lifting the unit out of the water. It's not really a big deal.

Pros: Low price for robotic cleaner, does the job well, don't have to drag out hose and manually vac the pool.
Cons: Velcro whisker came unglued from small door (contacted manufacture and they sent replacement whiskers).

I grabbed one of these unit's as well, the Costco version, which appears to mirror same except for the colour, as the blue Nitro being carried by the local pool supply company for $200 more.
Had it for two week's and doing a fabulous job on the floor (no wall's) of my 20 x 40, 30,000 G, L-shaped vinyl.

Having the same issue with those whisker things so will see what I can get from manufacturer. I found that if you have one of the port door's filled with dirt, sometimes get a bit of dirt comes out when pulling out of the pool.

After approx. 18 months an update:
The short of it: I'm happy with it. The cleaner does a good job.

Hello everyone,
It has been doing a great job getting the leaves off the bottom of the pool, it even picks up some smaller twigs (length of Popsicle sticks but thinner), and acorns.
When I was shaking out the bag after it had dried, I was little over zealous and it went snap. It still snaps in place and works fine. So no foul, but be careful. Another issue is the power supply connector where the cord to the robot screws in. The mount broke, it works, but need to be careful when connecting/disconnecting the cord. I tried to glue it using black RTV but it didn't last. I don't remember how it broke (dropped?) but the connector isn't hanging out or anything, it's just loose in the mount.
I still recommend this pool cleaner. Got it for abut $400. I'm happy with it. I'd recommend it to friends.

The COSTCO version, Kleen Machine, is on sale for $299 including shipping. I have used one for two seasons without a problem but the reviews are all over the place.

Gary R

:-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If anyone can help......my biggest problem is with very fine sand and dead algae (which is as fine as talcum powder). I've tried a poolblaster max.....useless!
Can you tell me if the filter bags in robotic cleaners are fine enough to stop the sand and algae from just being re-cycled back into the pool and clouding the water.
I live in the tropics (Philippines) and my pool is in use all year...in HOT sunshine. Algae is a HUGE problem for me. I can't afford a $500 mistake.

Ouch. Robie is having an issue. Wants to climb out of the water. It's out of warranty but have an extended one through visa.

Called SmartPool. There's a repair center (Pinch A Penny) about 40 miles from the house in Lutz. Called there and spoke to Mark. They seem very nice. Drove and dropped the unit off. They'll call me tomorrow with info.

Visa has been prompt so far with their paperwork.

My robot lets dirt back in when I remove it too. My solution is to yank the robot out of the pool as quickly as possible and let it drain on the deck. I would go crazy if I didn't have my robot. That's a great price on this one you are reviewing, but too small for my pool.

Received my 2nd Smart Pool Nitro Universal NC22. Delivered cost was $330. Hopefully he'll last longer than the first. I'm expecting to get $290 from Visa Extended Insurance.
Registered my 2nd unit. He's running as I type this all is well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.