Proper slope/angle for reverse negative edge spa

May 20, 2011
I am trying to construct a "glass" top looking spa utilizing a reverse negative edge and was wondering what the proper slope to use would be. builder wants to use a 3 inch drop from the outside edge of the spa to the inside edge. I am thinking that this is too much angle for what I am looking for. Anyone have any insight into what the proper angle/drop/slope should be to get the desired look.

I am looking for the following type look: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-i--y7RWLZ...877992562304_1615970635_1793395_3350483_o.jpg

or http://www.infinityedgepools.com/

Just a sheet of glass with water streaming down the sides of the spa.

Thanks,

There are a lot of different ways to do it that can all work. It all depends on what look you are trying for and how good a job your builder can do. To get the perfect edge appearance all the way around requires a better than average builder and a properly sized pump. Larger vertical drops make it harder to keep the perfect sheet of water effect, but they can be done.

Just a sheet of glass with water streaming down the sides of the spa.

Make the spa side of the weir wall a couple inches lower than the outside facing the pool. You won't need to push a lot of water as long as the outer edge is level and if you do put the weir on fully, it can make a nice, clean sheer if to invert the wall' a inch or two on the pool side, assuming a less than 4' tall wall between the pool and spa,.

Make sure both sides of the weir wall are sealed.

Make sure the PB has done this feature before.

My builder set up a circular negative-edge spa. When the wind is calm it's like glass—although you wouldn't want to drop your purse on it!

Here's a picture:
web.jpg

The width of the wall is exactly 12 inches, and the drop is 2.5 inches from outer to inner edge.

The full pool, spa, and kitchen gallery is also available.

Thanks everyone. I ended up going with a 1.75 inch drop from the pool side to the inside of the spa. We originally had a 3 inch drop and it was way to steep.

As for sealing the weir wall on both sides, what products are recommended? We are using a glass tile on the top/outside and plan for a plaster finish on the inside. I knew we needed to seal the area with the glass tile but never thought about the inside. After some quick research, it seems just as important to seal the inside. The tile manufacture (Oceanside) recommends things like Laticrete 9235 waterproof and anti-fracture membrane or Aquafin 1k and 2K/M. Are these products acceptable to seal the wall or should we be doing something in addition to these products.

I hope to have a thread of my build up tomorrow.

Thanks,

I am wondering if anyone else some feedback on the proper slope/angle for a reverse negative edge spa that they have installed and if they have pictures. My negative edge spa is 18" out of the water and the spa wall is 12" thick. At this point, I am leaning towards a 1.75" Slope from the outer edge of the spa to the inner edge of the spa. I would like to know what slope others have used for their raised disappearing, negative edge, infinity edge spa.

I am looking for the cleanest overflow for a more modern effect, yet I also want the spa to be functional as a "Sit & Spin" entry spa.

I appreciate any feedback and pictures that might help me decide.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.