Best way to drain AGP past the return jet?

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
I need to drain about 3 inches of water from the pool since I have a leak in my plumbing joints (threaded connections and skimmer plate). Luckily, I'm about 1/2" above the skimmer opening, so it's about 2-3" to the return jet fitting. So how would I go about draining the pool past the fitting so I can remove it and work on the seal? I don't have a bilge pump, but I do have a ton of water hoses ... will siphoning work or is there a better alternative? My filter/pump doesn't have a pump to waste as it's a cartridge filter that connects directly to the pump (Hayward XStream 100 sq.ft.).

Do you have a drain plug on the cartridge filter? Do you have a main drain in the pool? If so, close the skimmer, remove the drain plug on the cartridge filter and the water will start to flow.

To drain quicker, plug off the return fitting so the water is forced to go out of the drain in the cartridge filter.

And FYI you can take a 1 1/2" threaded male and screw in to most drain holes and connect PVC pipe of a waste hose (with the proper fittings) to move the water away from your pool.

If you only have a skimmer and no main drain, you can get a vac hose adapter http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=68 , (threaded male on one side, either barbed or slip fitting on the other side).

Teflon tape that into your skimmer, connect your vac head to your pole, pole to hose, sink hose to fill it full of water, and quickly connect hose to hose adapter that is screwed into skimmer. Now you have supply water once the water level falls below the skimmer. ** This too is a good way to circulate the pool water after adding salt for those people who don't have main drains in their pools using SWGs.

Yes, 1 1/2 male, short piece of pipe, and a 90, will direct the water away from filter drain. Either that or a piece of plywood works too. You can always control the amount of water coming out of the filter by opening and closing the skimmer value in front of your pool pump. That way it doesn't spray all over your electrical box. I would hope the electrical box is high enough off the ground so if you just barely crack open the skimmer valve that the water coming out of the cartridge filter wouldn't spray up on it.

Good Luck,
Joe

I think I'll use your approach to winterize my pool.

I had a similar problem with my plumbing (return side only though) and based on some advice here I stuffed a piece of foam in the return port (pump is off of course), took the return apart, fixed and reassembled. Stuffing the foam in there reduced water loss to a trickle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.