Above Ground Solar Cover Reel

I had no issues with the straps they were plenty long for me. I did have to trim my solar cover and that took some time. Basically it is was it is. It's installed and working it is a lot better than putting in on the lawn each time.

I hear you on the better than putting it on the lawn. I raised mine yesterday with blocks of wood screwed to the tops of the posts. That helped a lot. I think I am going to replace the posts with longer ones so it won't look so bad. I still need to add some straps, as soon as I can find the material, but for now it is working and useful. I assume your straps worked out because you put it over the middle. Going off the edge, the pre-cut straps were too short for all but the very center one.

The "hump" is actually a good thing, it will stop your reel from unrolling everything to the ground with one tug if you are in the pool and pulling the cover on to cover it back up (my most common method of closing it for the night).
You can get a roll of the feherguard strap that you can cut to desired lengths at most pool shops, otherwise, try and source "webbing" with the correct width - that's what it's called.
The cover pulls off and on best if your reel sits 8-12" higher than the pool edge/rail and a bit beyond it - but your space constraints will force you to go 1-1.5' higher than the pool rail by the sounds of it.

Matt,
I can go higher, I have space constraints in every other direction, because for some reason, we need to have a full botanical garden around the pool :) I am already into 1 bush. Shhhhh..... don't tell my wife I cut a couple of roots sinking the posts. I will shoot for around 10-12" when I replace the posts. Right now I am only about 2 1/2" plus the height of the reel above the rail. Thanks for the ideas for the webbing. I was going to look at sewing/fabric shops and see if they had some also. I just need to get a few more on there.

Pjiv,

I was concerned about getting a round cover off the end of the pool also, but as I read on here if you manually tug a little bit of the cover off before you start to reel it up, it goes pretty well. I was surprised.

you got it Barnyard (tugging cover out a bit before rolling up), as for the bushes, they may cause problems down the road since they somehow seem to be able to detect water through the liner and will likely grow their roots under your pool searching for it.

I love mine, I'm going to have to order a new set of straps for next season, 3 of them broke in gail force winds this year, can't remember this much wind ever.

[attachment=0:50ugpoke]SAM_0038-1.JPG[/attachment:50ugpoke]

Attachments

• SAM_0038-1.JPG
    SAM_0038-1.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 540
I just installed this reel on my pool a few weeks ago. Works very well, totally happy with it. Was hesitant to install it on the pool top rail. I lost all reservations once I assembled the reel. It is soo light, really weighs almost nothing. I am going to install a post to hold it when I swing it off of the pool. Right now i just have a step ladder out there. Last night my daughter wanted to swim.....in two minutes the cover was reeled up, swung out of the way....totally one person job. My daughter swam for 20 minutes or so and within a few minutes after that, cover was back on the pool.
Takes a little bit of practice to unroll the cover....back on the pool. At first I would unroll it a bit, then try to reach part of it and try to tug it along as I unreel..was a small pain but still so much easier than not having a reel. Now that i have the hang of unrolling it, no tugging or helping it along involved. Just have to get it started the right way then just keep unrolling at a fairly slow pace and let it glide across the water. Assembly was a small pain.......I bet it took me 3-4 hours to get the reel assembled, cover attached to reel and the whole deal attached to the pool.......
Zero regrets.
Also, I have the really thick, clear, solar cover...I think the heaviest one? This reel handles it just fine.

Something occurred to me yesterday as I was putting the blanket back on the pool. I wished I had this information before I installed the solar cover and reel:
When I first put my 24' solar cover on the pool it needed to be trimmed just a little all the way around it, per the instructions. I did that and got it so it was almost a perfect fit, left it very slightly to big. A couple days later I assembled and installed the reel. The way you attach the blanket to the reel straps is to give it a small fold in the middle of the blanket and then attach the straps to the blanket. This small fold makes the blanket diameter about two - three inches less. You can see the fold in PJIV's picture. So now my cover is about an inch or so short all the way around the pool, maybe two inches in some areas (only an inch or so because I had cut it so that is was slightly to big when I first trimmed it). Everything worked out very well for me, but its one of those things that could bite someone........I was lucky I had left it a bit big.

If i were to do it again I would probably trim the liner after it is installed on the reel and spread out into its position on the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 27 foot pool and it came with a 28 foot cover, I trimed it as well, but since then have decieded not to trim the new one I must buy now since we had another wind storm and it ripped the holes. I might buy some gromets next time and do this right.

Barnyard,
I'm new to this forum and after reading the post here, I'm convinced the GLI solar reel cover is the way to go. I've never had a solar blanket due to the fact that I couln't find a good reel sytem for my 27' round AG and putting a cover on the ground is not an option. I know this post is several years old, but was hoping to see if you have an update as to how your "end mount" reel is working out for you and if you have any pictures to share. I have been considering trying the "end mount" as well, but wasn't sure if it would actually work.

NHPoolowner

Bump! Would love to see some more pictures! Want to get one for our pool and thinking of just putting some 4x4 posts on the sides of the pool to mount it rather then drill into my pool..

I know this is an OLD post, but we have had our 27' round above ground for 3 years and pulling off the solar cover and folding it up ever year/day is driving me nuts!

I am thinking of this reel, but would also love to see some pics of your installs.

Thanks in advance!

I think this is the real system they are talking about, I bought it but have not put it up yet.. it seems to be a well made product, 4 inch center piece, heavy made aluminum... It will be another month or so before I can get some pictures... They are not cheap, it cost twice the amount as the solar cover itself, but I knew if i didnt get this the solar cover would only get used once or twice.. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037TWCH0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one! I found it for less than $300, so I don't mind spending the money. The issue is not only is it a pain to take off and fold it up daily, but my wife has a hard time doing it while I'm working. This may make it easier for my wife to take off the solar cover as well.

Do you know if this pivots out of the way to swim? It would be awful if that giant thing was in the middle of the pool all the time! :p

So, I was thinking the same thing, I saw a post on here where someone put 6x6 posts on one end behind the pool and installed on those, the web straps have to be longer but it would be off the pool when you are swimming... This is the way I am planning on putting it up...

Found a pic :)

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/22640-AG-pool-Solar-Reel

Gravel7, How do you get your cover to unroll without sticking together? When mine starts to unroll one side starts going under the other one.
Did you find a answer to your problem? I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking of attaching some kind of small floating object to the ends of each half to help start the split. Something like a few inches of a pool noodle. I'll let you know how it went.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.