Pool temp 100+ what to look out for

CGS

Sep 15, 2008
My pool temps are getting up to and over 100 degrees pretty regularly these days. Is there anything that I need to be aware of at these temps? I'm assuming that algae could be a real problem with water this warm. Are there any additional precautions I need to take?

Though algae growth rates can continue to climb up to around 104ºF (see this paper), it depends on the species of algae. Even so, chlorine kill rates climb as well, usually faster than algae growth rates. However, chlorine loss rate is faster so the chances of the chlorine level getting too low are higher and that's the primary reason algae can start to grow. If you are diligent about maintaining your chlorine level, then you should not have a problem, but you may need to add chlorine more frequently and probably add more than you are used to doing.

As shown in this map, you've got moderate evaporation rates so probably not quite high enough to cool your pool faster than it heats up during the day (say, compared to Arizona). If you had a white or reflective pool cover on during the day and took it off at night, then you could keep your pool cooler. A white plaster pool of average 4.5 foot depth will absorb around 60% of the sun's energy. For Gulfport, MI, for example, the average high in July is 91ºF and the average low 74ºF so if the pool wasn't getting net heating from the sun then it would be at around 83-84ºF. You must be having hotter than normal weather or you are using a darker or clear solar cover.

100 :shock:
I'm trying everything just get up to 80!!
Must be nice. I've read some people using a solar heater set up in warm climates, instead of running during the day they run at night to cool the pool down.

I've got a fountain that I can use. I'm not sure how much it would drop the temp. I assume the best time to use it would be at night since aerating during the day would likely not help as much compared to cooler evening temps. It has been above 95 pretty much every day for quite a while, but the sun is pretty intense and there is no shade on the pool. It is also only 5' deep at the deepest part so that contributes a lot as well. i'm definitely not using anything to heat the pool up, that is for sure.

Actually, aeration during the day is effective unless the humidity is high. Water evaporating cools the remaining water so you want to spray coarse enough to still have water come back into the pool (i.e. don't just mist).

It's only running water through solar panels where you'd only want to do that at night since that effect is based on thermal transfer, not evaporation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.