Automation Options

May 26, 2011
All of my valves and heater are currently manual. I would like to be able to turn the spa, heater and lights on remotely. Is putting in automation a DIY project or something to leave to a pro?

For basic automation what is a good value system?

If you have experience with AC electrical wiring, installing an automation system is a reasonable DIY project.

The Pentair SunTouch is about the least expensive system. For a little more money the Hayward E-Command 4 is a bit more flexible. There are a number of other options, mostly more expensive than those two. Depending on how many things you want to be able to control separately, one of the more expensive options might be a better value.

If you have any mechanical skills you should be fine doing it yourself.

Goldline makes a PS-4. It is a SWG and automation. If you go with this one be aware that you have to purchase the actual unit, remote sensor and remote. Several different remote options, wired, wireless, handheld wireless etc. You can even run your landscaping lights if you want.

Keep in mind you'll need special valves to use automation. Either Jandy, intermatic, etc. The ones that have a back or grey handle on them that can be removed. Since you are only changing pool to spa. You should only need 2 actuators. Depending upon how your system is plumbed.

Like Jason said the cost varies greatly depending upon the "bells and whistles"

Basically to use the spa I have to move 3 valves so I guess that would be 3 actuators. I have a Hayward pump so does that mean I need a Hayward automation system or do you get what matches your valves or does it matter?

Do you have valves like this? http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/home...entpoolparts/products/263028.htm?ecmpid=CMPGB

If not you can save some money and get a three way and put it where the T is in the plumbing and save some money on an actuator.

The 3 way would basically shut off water from skimmer and main drain in spa mode and shut off water from spa in pool mode. Then have one more 3 way valve to control return choosing between spa and pool. FYI if you want a heavy spillover from spa into pool you would need to set return actuator to 2/3 spa 1/3 pool. They are pretty easy to adjust.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/home...lveactuators/products/PE24VA.htm?ecmpid=CMPGB

If you want to leave system as is make sure you get a system that allows you to use 3 actuators.
No, you don't have to use a Hayward automation system since you have a Hayward pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.