LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Would like to hear from some old 'salt's that have used BBB for say 3 or more years running chlorine and not salt system.

Any liner shrinkage/brittleness vs same period with chlorine
Any negatives over the long term vs long term chlorine use
premature degradation of pool equipment/hoses from running higher FC levels and Borax

I have moved to BBB and loving it so far, but folks tell me liquid chlorine is bad, I don't buy that but would like some long term users to comment. I have read a lot of posts here which convinced me to switch.

6 years with no issues. Same trunks I had when we built the pool. As soon as the chlorine mixes with the water, it's chemically identical to other forms of chlorine.

It is important that you add bleach correctly, pour slowly in front of a return with the pump running and keep the pump running for at least 30 minutes after any addition.

Many commercial pools use liquid chlorine, which is exactly the same stuff as bleach but more concentrated, and quite a few of them have been doing so for many decades.

Chlorine is chlorine. One type of chlorine is no different than any other type of chlorine once it's in the pool. The only difference is application specifics. You'd never throw tablets in the pool and let them sit on the bottom nor should you pour bleach directly on the bottom and let it sit.

I've had my pool since 2004. Been using BBB for about 4 years, with pucks used during vacations and start up to increase CYA levels. My liner was faded from the use of the puck chlorinator by my 2nd season. This year my pool water has been the clearest, less problematic EVER! I add one jug of 182oz of bleach every other day, use polyquat weekly, and have only had to "shock" my pool 2x this year (opening, and after using Yellow Kleer for mustard algae).

This is my third year using BBB, but gotta say I love it. My water is so crystal clear that I was able to see a stupid stink bug laying on the bottom( oh, how I hate those things). I switch between walmart bleach (6%) and liquid chlorine (12.5) and have had NO issues. Water is always clear, never had algae, ph and alk stay within normal range, all I have to do is spend 5 minutes or so an evening adding chlorine and run my other test once a week. Easy as pie. I faded my liner a little during my conversion (but that was my fault)..I was soo excited to be doing the conversion that I just couldn't wait for the test kit and started dumping bleach, but it's still not bad, just a little lighter and no brittleness whatsoever. I don't know what I would have done if I had not found this site and all the wonderful people who taught me to manage my pool! :lovetfp:

JasonLion said:
It is important that you add bleach correctly, pour slowly in front of a return with the pump running and keep the pump running for at least 30 minutes after any addition.

Ooops, I don't do this. Maybe I should? I have the same concerns as rjg202. I add the liquid chlorine slowly into the deepest parts of the pool without running the pump or keep it running for at least 30 minutes afterwards. I usually add it in the late evenings after testing FC and Ph or in the mornings before I go to work. No time to run the pump for 30 minutes. Will that damage anything?

Bleach/liquid chlorine added when the pump is not running can "pool" on the bottom and damage the surface, just as granular chlorine added too quickly so that it piles up in one place can damage the surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.