LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, did some simple tests last weekend with TF100 and took sample to pool store. Variable is a 20 minute ride to pool store with sample

My #'s

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.5
ALK 100

There #'s with Lamotte tester
FC 2.1
CC 0 a match
PH 7.8
ALK 110
CYA 110

So why would I with drops be 3.9 ppm higher and ph .3 lower. I put a scoop of that powder in the vial at 10ml, could I be putting too much, are my drops to small(doubt it). My test with the Taylor FC/PH test was > 5 which leads me to believe my drop test is right. Can FC drop that much on a 20 minute ride in Air Conditioned Car? Store clerk saw me buying liquid shock (12%) and told me that I would raise PH by using that? I used to be in several times a week buying shock, now I have not shocked since going BBB, though I have not added Borax either, still uncomfortable with that. When I had a slight tinge of ping in my CC I spiked the chlorine overnight, not sure but I am adding about 20 oz a night and testing the next night and hold about the 5-6 range. Not sure what it is at in the am but I am guessing 6% takes me up 1 ppm.

Now for vacation, should I add 2-4 oz of PolyQ 60? I usually do 2 oz a week and have a neighbor watching the pool who also has pool.

When you get a chance, search for "Trust your own testing" on this forum. You should get about 10,000 hits!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Please trust your results and disregard the pool store tests. No one at the pool stores cares about your pool water like you do and perhaps no on there even knows how to test as well as you do.

In short, trust your own testing.

I had the same problem, I was mixing results with the pool store. BAD ME! :hammer:
Quit going to the store and just relied on my TF-100 and BAM! My pool did exactly what it was told to do. :goodjob:
Perfect all the time now, I did find the sweet spot after about a month.
My pool likes the TA at 80-90, my ph stays right on 7.5 all the time. When I had my TA up at 120, the PH would be swinging up a lot.

Attachments

• Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 193
Did the pool store rinse their vial with fresh water then pool water before testing? Did they carefully hold the reagent bottle upside down to be sure drops were uniform? Did they use a test strip, then run it through a black box that gave overly precise values?
Trust your own testing.

Those pool store results aren't even THAT far off. This spring I tested my water just before a trip to the pool store to buy some DE for my filter. Just for giggles, I let them test my water. PH was dead-on 7.5 and CYA was 40 by my results. They came up with a PH of 8.5 and a CYA of 80. Of course they wanted to sell me some acid and a (really expensive!)miracle bottle of Phos-free to solve a problem that I didn't have. ;)

supertune said:
I had the same problem, I was mixing results with the pool store. BAD ME! :hammer:
Quit going to the store and just relied on my TF-100 and BAM! My pool did exactly what it was told to do. :goodjob:
My pool likes the TA at 80-90, my ph stays right on 7.5 all the time. When I had my TA up at 120, the PH would be swinging up a lot.

Whoa -- kinda OT here, but your signature caught my eye! What did you get in place of the 'A' cartridge? Curious.

jnd5309 said:
supertune said:

Whoa -- kinda OT here, but your signature caught my eye! What did you get in place of the 'A' cartridge? Curious.

Hi jnd5309,
Go here and read my posts on what I did:

Chuck

http://www.troublefreepool.com/custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html

http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-easy-set-plumbing-filter-upgrade-is-it-possible-t35091.html

Attachments

• Pool setup for skimmer 007 resized.jpg
    Pool setup for skimmer 007 resized.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 106
Pool stores survive - nay, THRIVE, on inaccurate testing. The worse their accuracy, the more money they make. It is little wonder that they do not strive for continuing excellence on stringent cleaning and testing methods.

Trust your own testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.