Pool problem #2 -Plaster issues.

Apr 5, 2011
Springfield, MO
Had pool plastered 4-6 weeks ago. Diamond brite (3 parts Onyx, 3 parts Midnight Blue, 3 parts French Gray). I'm not happy with the end result from the plaster company. We still owe a large sum of money to the pool builder. Need help determining:

1. Is plaster job reasonable from a quality stand point? Only pool we've built. Don't have a frame of reference. I understand that there is always some mottling with darker plasters. However, I think our problems go beyond "mottling". Had one other pool builder at house. He said our plaster job would not meet his expectations. I want other opinions before I complain to pool builder.
2. If plaster job is sub par - what are potential solutions?

I'll add photos to listing. Problems with plaster:

1. We have a tanning ledge. 2 umbrella sleeves and 4 bubblers in tanning ledge. To me, plaster company did not take care around these items. Plaster is "sunken in" and over exposed at these sites. Should this have turned out better? If so, how can problem be fixed? If overexposed, I think only fix is repeat plaster. If repeat plaster - can this be stopped at the tanning ledge? Or will this look bad? Will ENTIRE pool have to be replastered?
2. Main drain. Plaster company messed up and had to patch. Supposedly, they will come back and use an under water polisher to fix. These seems reasonable and may be the easiest problem to fix. Agree?
3. Groove under tile. 2nd opinion pool builder noticed this, not me. He said plaster is very thin here. Will eventually crack. Agree? Any solution? Can this be patched?
4. Spa. Color is very irregular. Lighter at edge of step. I know there will be some mottling, but this looks technical. Is this acceptable? Any solution other than re-plaster? Could this be a fault of poor setup after plaster? Pool builder had pool plasterd and then went out of town for 2 weeks. Left me with a pool I didn't know how to take care of.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Zoomed out photos of bubblers / umbrella sleeve:[attachment=1:3pul8x97]Bubbler - Zoom out_800x600.jpg[/attachment:3pul8x97][attachment=0:3pul8x97]Bubbler - Zoom out 4_800x600.jpg[/attachment:3pul8x97]

Attachments

• Bubbler - Zoom out_800x600.jpg
    Bubbler - Zoom out_800x600.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 528
  • Bubbler - Zoom out 4_800x600.jpg
    Bubbler - Zoom out 4_800x600.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 529
Zoomed in photos of bubblers / umbrella sleeve:[attachment=0:pjchpqqa]Umbrella sleeve 2_800x600.jpg[/attachment:pjchpqqa][attachment=1:pjchpqqa]Bubbler3_800x600.jpg[/attachment:pjchpqqa][attachment=2:pjchpqqa]Bubbler 2_800x600.jpg[/attachment:pjchpqqa]

Attachments

• Bubbler 2_800x600.jpg
    Bubbler 2_800x600.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 521
  • Bubbler3_800x600.jpg
    Bubbler3_800x600.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 521
  • Umbrella sleeve 2_800x600.jpg
    Umbrella sleeve 2_800x600.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 521
Another tanning ledge and umbrella sleeve:[attachment=0:1g39pskw]Umbrella Sleeve_800x600.jpg[/attachment:1g39pskw][attachment=1:1g39pskw]Tanning ledge 2_800x600.jpg[/attachment:1g39pskw]

Attachments

• Tanning ledge 2_800x600.jpg
    Tanning ledge 2_800x600.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 517
  • Umbrella Sleeve_800x600.jpg
    Umbrella Sleeve_800x600.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 516
You need to read your contract, by not paying they could impose a mechanics lean on your house! I understand that if the job is not done to your satisfaction but be careful! The finish also is very dependent on the brushing accomplished in the weeks after the job. The plaster company should be able to fix most of those problems. From what I see, it's just sloppy craftsmanship! PB should be ashamed!

Spa:

[attachment=2:27xfopms]Spa_800x600.jpg[/attachment:27xfopms][attachment=1:27xfopms]Spa2_800x600.jpg[/attachment:27xfopms][attachment=0:27xfopms]Spa3_800x600.jpg[/attachment:27xfopms]

Attachments

• Spa_800x600.jpg
    Spa_800x600.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 514
  • Spa2_800x600.jpg
    Spa2_800x600.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 516
  • Spa3_800x600.jpg
    Spa3_800x600.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 516

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
maxepr1 said:
You need to read your contract, by not paying they could impose a mechanics lean on your house! I understand that if the job is not done to your satisfaction but be careful! The finish also is very dependent on the brushing accomplished in the weeks after the job. The plaster company should be able to fix most of those problems. From what I see, it's just sloppy craftsmanship! PB should be ashamed!

I understand the possiblity of mechanics lein. But homeowner's do have rights. I will fight with a lawyer if necessary. We will pay 100%, but only if job is done correctly.

We brushed continuously after plastered. 2X / day. Pool builder went on vacation. Left us with little instructions. I think he added salt and chlorine to the pool. No other chemicals. Told me not to worry about pH immediately after plastering. Not sure if he added sequestrant. To me, lack of appropriate chemicals may have contributed to appearance of the spa. Appearance around bubblers / umbrella support is more due to sloppy technique.

cpotter638 said:
maxepr1 said:

I understand the possiblity of mechanics lein. But homeowner's do have rights. I will fight with a lawyer if necessary. We will pay 100%, but only if job is done correctly.

We brushed continuously after plastered. 2X / day. Pool builder went on vacation. Left us with little instructions. I think he added salt and chlorine to the pool. No other chemicals. Told me not to worry about pH immediately after plastering. Not sure if he added sequestrant. To me, lack of appropriate chemicals may have contributed to appearance of the spa. Appearance around bubblers / umbrella support is more due to sloppy technique.

I have the same finish less a little of the gray. We had to do a second acid start-up to remove the blotches. My plasterer said that it is not uncommon and after the second wash things evened out. Personally I think an acid bath in empty pool a few days later would be better but it will never work like Pebble-Tech.

maxepr1 said:
I have the same finish less a little of the gray. We had to do a second acid start-up to remove the blotches. My plasterer said that it is not uncommon and after the second wash things evened out. Personally I think an acid bath in empty pool a few days later would be better but it will never work like Pebble-Tech.

I see where 2nd acid start-up might fix the spa.

Will this work for the pool? Around the bubblers / umbrella the plaster is slightly sunken and overexposed. To me, no way to correct this other than patching (don't know if this can be done and look good) or re-plaster. Thoughts?

cpotter638 said:
maxepr1 said:

I see where 2nd acid start-up might fix the spa.

Will this work for the pool? Around the bubblers / umbrella the plaster is slightly sunken and overexposed. To me, no way to correct this other than patching (don't know if this can be done and look good) or re-plaster. Thoughts?

The spots in the pool can be fixed also, mine where. As for the over-exposed I think your right. I wouldn't settle for a patch! What's your PB saying?

maxepr1 said:
The spots in the pool can be fixed also, mine where. As for the over-exposed I think your right. I wouldn't settle for a patch! What's your PB saying?

We've had multiple problems. Some small. Some not. I'm worried that plaster might be a much larger issue. 2 weeks ago, we had paid almost everything owed to the PB. But they just recent installed autocover. Now that autocover is installed, we have money to hang over his head. Now I will detail all problems to him. That is why I posted now. Want a clear idea of what I need to ask him to do to fix the problems.

JasonLion said:
A fair bit of the unevenness in the color can be fixed with a manual acid wash. However, that looks fairly bad and I doubt they will be able to get it all the way back to a uniform color.

Jason:
Are you talking pool, spa, or both?

To me the tanning ledge cannot be fixed with acid wash.

What about the spa? In your opinion, can it be fixed with acid wash?

Out of curiosity, what is the cause of the spa unevenness in color? Plastering technique? Or improper chemicals at start-up?

cpotter638 said:
I think he added salt and chlorine to the pool. No other chemicals. Told me not to worry about pH immediately after plastering. Not sure if he added sequestrant. To me, lack of appropriate chemicals may have contributed to appearance of the spa. Appearance around bubblers / umbrella support is more due to sloppy technique.

You should ALWAYS wait at least 2 week, best to wait 30 days, before you add salt to a freshly plastered pool.

I agree with above very poor work. When you start mixing portland and marble to get a color different then the intended mix you run into different shades. Very similar to mixing paint. With the exposed aggregate finishes it it possible to fix some blurring with an acid wash but each time you acid wash you decrease your finishes life by 1/2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.