New 15' x 48" and SWG. Start up questions

Jul 5, 2011
LV,NV
Hello everyone,

We put up a small Intex AG pool(4400 gal) last Saturday. I want to do what I can to get the water right from the beginning. I dumped 120#'s of Morton pool salt into it. I only have a basic test kit now. Test results right now: No chlorine to speak of, total alkalinity is roughly 190ppm, and ph is around 7.8-8.0. I have added 1 1/2 cups of dry ph down the past two mornings. Ph looks good(7.6) in the evening, but rises again by the next day. Small pump has been running constantly.

I also bought an Intex CS8110 SWG. I ran it 4 hours on Sunday, and 8 hours yesterday. Should I add dry, or liquid chlorine to jump start the chlorine level in the water? What can I do to help stabilize the ph? Daytime highs are over 100* all summer, and pool gets a lot of direct sunlight throughout the day. What other water tests should I do?

Thanks for any help. I'm sure you've answered these questions a million times.
William in Las Vegas, NV

Keep adjusting PH to 7.2, which will lower TA over time. Your TA is high which is causing PH to rise. Also raise CYA to at least 60 and keep adding liquid chlorine to keep FC in the 4-6 range. Once the CYA is disolved in your water, the SWG should be able to keep up with chlorine demand :goodjob:

Sounds like a great start to me. :mrgreen:

We had a 16x32 AG pool years ago that we could never keep clean(except by draining LOL ). Tore it down after 2 seasons. I know nothing about pool chemistry. :hammer: If I can keep this little one right, we'd like to get a bigger one again.

Thanks dman!

I have to go get some CYA tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.