Something's very wrong (newbie post)

MLock

Jul 5, 2011
Indianapolis
Let me start by saying that I do not know what I'm doing with my pool. Period.

Three weeks ago, I took a water sample to the local chain pool store and got this:

FC: 4
Alk: 100
PH: 7.0
Copper: .5
TDS: 2100

Three days ago:

Alk: 0
PH: 6.8
Copper: 3
TDS: 2200

(I added 5lb of Metal Free or whatever it's called)
Today:

Alk: 0
PH: 6.0
Copper: 3
TDS: 2250

Water is clear and has been all season.

Please let me know what else you need to know, and what I should be doing! Thanks...

Well, pool store testing can be very inaccurate.

Did they give you more test #'s? We also need CYA, CC & CH

A quality test kit will put you in control of your pool. See test kit comparisons in Pool School.

You should double check your pH. It should not be below 7.
Use borax and raise it into the low 7's ASAP.

How have you been chlorinating your pool?

What chemicals have you added?

Pls add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.
Go to User Control Panel (top left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Sig.
That info will help us help you.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I have an inline chlorinator and use 3" tabs from Leslies.

CYA was not tested. Calcium Hardness is 370. I can't figure out what CC is.

The only chemicals I've added are powdered "shock" and 5lbs of Metal Free due to the copper.

Trichlor tablets are fairly acidic, they constantly lower both the PH and TA levels. To compensate for that you need to be constantly adding soda ash/washing soda/PH Up to maintain the PH at a reasonable level.

Now, it is impossible for your TA to literally be zero while the PH is anywhere near 6 or 7, but still it is quite plausible that TA is very low. You need to raise both PH and TA back into range as soon as possible. PH below 7.0 can damage the pool, especially if it stays low for very long.

Having the PH below 7.0, especially way below 7.0, can erode copper from the heat exchanger, raising the copper level, and eventually destroying the heater. As I said, you need to get the PH and TA back up into range as soon as possible. I would start by adding enough baking soda to raise TA up to around 70, give that at least an hour to mix in with the pump running, then test the PH again and adjust it to around 7.0 to 7.2 from where ever it is at that point.

All I have is test strips at the moment... but I've added washing soda for the PH and baking soda for the TA, and the strips are at least happier with my PH. It was showing off the scale low, now it is showing around 7.5. TA is still showing "low", but that could be anywhere from 0 to 50.

Water went from super clear to cloudy. Assuming that's the baking soda and it will clear off. I added them both to water, mixed, and poured into the skimmer. (not at the same time)

Thoughts on next steps? I know.. buy a testing kit... what else? Pool needs to be clear and usable Thursday, is that possible?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An update on this...

Using washing soda and baking soda, I have gotten the pool to a pH of 7.5. However, my TA is still reading super low (<40). It doesn't seem to matter how much baking soda I add, it doesn't raise the TA. Any hints?

If you add enough baking soda it will raise the TA. You just haven't added enough yet. OR your strips are lying to you! I'd take a sample to a pool store and have them test it till I could get a TF-100 shipped, so you can do your own tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.