Milky water. Had a major green algae bloom

Jun 11, 2011
I killed the algae and now I have milky water. I run an intex 18X48 AGP with intex's sand filter and Krystal Klear SWG.
Should I add a bit of bleach or empty a portion of water out thru Backwashing.

Total noob regarding pool chemistry.

I did the same thing last year, seems like the milkiness lasted forever. This year I kill the stuff with bleach, and I catch it early and attack it hard!

I'm sure someone will come along with more info on your situation. Have you checked out the Pool School tab at the top of the pages. Very good info there to get you started on pool chemistry!

In my opinion, the Intex pools need to be used often, daily if possible. People do a better job of circulating water than the pumps, which ensures that any of the little green meanies will be mixed into the chlorinated water, rather than lurking in stagnant areas.

You need good tests in order to keep your pool clear. You should follow the recommendations in Pool School for a small/temporary pool and the levels for a swg. Post a full set of test numbers and how you go them.

The salt strips are ok but the others aren't. Spend some time reading Pool School and learning how to take care of your pool. A good test kit is an investment in your family's health. I'm not sure you've killed all the algae yet and without a good test kit you can't tell if there's anything still living in there. Till you can get a good test kit, take a sample to the pool store and post their numbers.

Looks like you need to add some salt.

Here are my pool store test results. They were out of their test kits so I bought a 3 way kit from walmart HTH. Im sure that is not adequate but for now at least I can check chlorine, bromine and PH

CL 1.32 (he also gave 1.60
PH 7.78
Calcium 180
alkalinity 91
stabilizer 12
Salt 2230. He recommended adding 40 more lbs of salt which I bought and dumped.

He said the filter would handle the cloudyness, but its a slow process.

Your CYA level is way too low for use with a SWG. I would be a little cautious, since your CYA level test results are inconsistent and probably not completely reliable, but it still looks like you need to raise CYA significantly. The ideal CYA level with a SWG is around 70 to 80, but err a little on the low side of that because of the unreliable CYA test results and the difficulty of lowering CYA.

It can easily take a sand filter a week, or more, to clear up cloudy water after the algae is all dead. It isn't clear if your algae is all dead or not, but assuming it is, you should see a visible improvement in the water each day.

Success at last, Finally got a handle on the milky water, its clearing up very nicely.

Thanks for all you do and your advice.

BTW, this will be the last EasySet Pool I buy. For now on, Bigger and better,

(And the lazyman way of doing pool care, HELP WANTED, LOCAL POOL SERVICE TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN A BUSY FAMILY'S POOL. )

kidding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.